Kim Tian / Tiong Bahru - Recommended Stargazing Areas

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
varguspike
Favourite scope: Celestron PowerSeeker 76AZ

Kim Tian / Tiong Bahru - Recommended Stargazing Areas

Post by varguspike »

hey everyone - just bought my telescope yesterday and want to try it out soon. so, two questions:

any recommendations for good spots at kim tian / tiong bahru areas to look for some stars?

any upcoming good dates or recommended time of the day, to do so? looks like the next few days are going to be cloudy, so i won't see much.

alright that's about it - i don't know anything, so please educate me!! :)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Kim Tian / Tiong Bahru - Recommended Stargazing Areas

Post by cloud_cover »

Welcome to the club :)
Actually the next few months are going to be cloudy with some scattered clear nights.
I'm not familiar with the Tiong Bahru sites but generally that close to the CBD the light pollution is going to be quite heavy anyway.
You'll probably want to find a spot that is decently dark (and safe) so you get some amount of dark adaptation. Also looking away from the direction of the city may help since that's where the worst light pollution is.
However, the best scope is one that is used the most so even your hall/bedroom window is a good choice!
I know there's a park nearby where they did a shootout of 2 large scopes a few months back.
Other places include Labrador, Mt. Faber/Telok Blangah hill park (you may have more to see than stars!)
Generally with a 3" achromat, you'll probably be looking at bright targets like the moon, brighter star clusters (check out the Peliades and the Orion group), appreciate the different colors of the stars and the planets. Even then, there's a lot to see that can be seen!
Have fun!
P.S. Why not join the sidewalk groups when they are having their public viewing? I know's there's a 70 or 76mm Celestron there as well at the Bishan Park/Toa Payoh group :) A bit far but not too bad via MRT :)
DON'T PANIC
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

labrador park is a good choice for southern east west skies.
After 12mn, the lights along the coastal walk will be switched off, making it ideal for observations.
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi varguspike. Welcome to the hobby and the forum! For starters, try observing the Moon, Jupiter and Pleiades (7 Sisters) when the sky is clear at the comfort of your house or somewhere nearby. Quick reaction time to clear skies is important especially during this year end period.

There are plenty of information in this forum to educate yourself. So take your time to go through them. You can also borrow stargazing/astronomy books and magazines from your nearby library (section 520) and learn in a more structured way. You can double your loan during this year end period. YouTube and Google is also your friend so make use of them to learn more about the hobby.

Good luck and be careful don't to catch The Fever! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
varguspike

Post by varguspike »

hey all

thank you all for your recommendations! looks like i'll have to practice with the moon first - seems like an obvious idea which i didn't consider! yeah these few nights are very cloudy so i'm just waiting for a clear night.

i'll try out labrador park as well - seems like a good idea, but again, weather is a difficult beast.

also, tell me more about the sidewalk 'sessions'? where can i get info?
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

varguspike wrote:also, tell me more about the sidewalk 'sessions'? where can i get info?
Hello, and welcome to SingAstro.

Sidewalk sessions are basically public stargazing sessions where we bring our telescopes out to a public area and allow members of the public to look through. We also share our astronomy knowledge with the public, and with each other. If you need any help with your scope, or just want some observing buddies, feel free to come down to any of the sidewalk sessions. Normally these sessions are announced in the 'Astronomy Events & Observation Sessions' sub-forum here.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi varguspike,

Welcome to singastro. just join some of the singastro star gazing session. Your nearest bet will be Gary's session at TPY or bishan park by Dave. It can save u alot of time figuring out the constellations and the perhaps try out some of the instruments available.
varguspike

Post by varguspike »

hey all

thanks for the welcome and introduction! will definitely be in touch in the near future :)

anyway, wanted to ask - i saw a bright star last night through my bedroom window (i live in kim tian, and i was facing the CBD). so i looked at it through my powerseeker and saw that it was a small circle - very white! below it, i also saw two very faint and tiny white dots.

anyone knows what i might have seen? can't figure it out - searched online and also looked at the equatorial chart thing i got from the place i bought my telescope at science centre..
Gary

Post by Gary »

varguspike wrote:hey all

thanks for the welcome and introduction! will definitely be in touch in the near future :)

anyway, wanted to ask - i saw a bright star last night through my bedroom window (i live in kim tian, and i was facing the CBD). so i looked at it through my powerseeker and saw that it was a small circle - very white! below it, i also saw two very faint and tiny white dots.

anyone knows what i might have seen? can't figure it out - searched online and also looked at the equatorial chart thing i got from the place i bought my telescope at science centre..
Congratulations! You "discovered" Jupiter for yourself! Now you have a taste of how Galileo felt 400 years ago!

Learn more by installing this free planetarium software --> http://www.stellarium.org. If you have a smartphone, try the free Sky Map for android, Planets for iOS.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
varguspike

Post by varguspike »

you're kidding? are you for real? i didn't know that's possible hahahha

anyway thanks for the tip - yeah the sighting is indeed jupiter. i recall that in addition to the two moons (ganymede and lo), there was a small dot on the big 'planet' (jupiter), which was EUROPA!!!!!

wow that's really cool!!