Beginner with a CelestronAM70EQ

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kwlharvey@yahoo.com
Favourite scope: Celestron AM70EQ

Beginner with a CelestronAM70EQ

Post by kwlharvey@yahoo.com »

Hi All,
I am a Newbie. Just bought a Celestron AM70EQ on an impulse last weekend during a visit to the Science Centre for $300. Is this even a reasonable telescope for a beginner?

I have tried polar aligning. I simply point the Polar axis towards north and set the latitude to about 1degree. I do not know if I am doing things right cos very often I can't seems to point the tube to places in the sky cos the counterweight and/ or the turning cables are getting in the way. I have read that equatorial mounts have problem working in singapore. Is that true for all models? What do I do to solve that? Have not even tried setting the dec circle cos the sky is very overcast these few nights.

Are there any group meetings and or viewings where I can go to meet experienced stargazers to learn more?

Thanks and will appreciate any help.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Re: Beginner with a CelestronAM70EQ

Post by Avarielle »

Hello hello! And Welcome to SingAstro.

I have the exact same telescope but haven't been using it much since the skies haven't been good.

It's a pretty decent scope, once you know what you're doing. I've seen Saturn, Jupiter and its moons, the Orion Nebula, the moon, and more with it. The slow motion cables and the counterweights can be a bit of a hassle and get in the way at times.

Keep an eye out on the Astronomy Events & Observation Sessions forum, people post when they are having observation sessions. Feel free to bring down your scope to any one of the sessions.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi there. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on owning a telescope!

"Is this even a reasonable telescope for a beginner?"
Reasonable for beginner is quite a subjective judgement. If you understand what you can see with it and at what level of detail and is okay with that (i.e. done your research before buying and thus able to manage your expectations using it), then it's reasonable enough.

"I have read that equatorial mounts have problem working in Singapore. Is that true for all models?"
No. Not true for all models. But even for model that can reach low or zero latitude, you may encounter the problem of your counterweights hitting your tripod leg. This can be resolved by adding a vertical extension tube (i.e. pier/pillar) to raise the mount and thus the counterweight higher.

"Have not even tried setting the dec circle cos the sky is very overcast these few nights."
Forget the declination circle for the time being. This telescope is not well built enough to make using dec circles effective and enjoyable in hunting of objects. Try the more rewarding "traditional" method - learn to read the sky maps - try http://www.skymaps.com for static sky maps, free desktop software http://www.Stellarium.org, phone apps and borrow stargazing books in your local library (section 520).

In addition to reading this forum, you can try to search "equatorial mount" in YouTube and watch the videos.

Take note the red dot finder is not well designed and built. Quite frustrating to use base on first hand experience playing with Avarielle's telescope. You may need to buy a better one. Or if you don't mind your telescope looking slightly unglamorous, can DIY a nono-electric finder with wires and paper tubes at very low cost.

Do not let your impulse buy bring down your morale because:

(1) The mount and be initially difficult to understand to use for a complete beginner, but you will get to learn how to use it sooner or later. And with that hands-on experience, you will have a good idea what you want out of your next mount and what to avoid getting (new or second-hand). And with that, able to judge more objectively whether the increase in price is worth it.

(2) The telescope itself is still able to show nice celestial objects on a clear night. You can still mount it on a better EQ mount or alta-azimuth (AZ) mount in the future if you want to. We have seen globular cluster Messier object 22 at rooftop of Vivocity on a clear night with this telescope mounted on an AZ mount.

(3) It is better to learn the lesson of impulse at a relative low cost ($300) and end up saving much more in the long run from this point onwards with your future purchases. People have learn this same lesson at much higher price (e.g $1000 and above). :)

(4) If not for this impulse buy, you may not have found this wonderful forum and befriend us in our future gatherings. :)

So bring your telescope in any upcoming sidewalk astronomy sessions and the amateur astronomers there will be able to guide you. That is the fastest and most efficient way to learn about your telescope. And get poisoned by others. :P

Good luck and clear skies!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Hi kwlharvey,

Welcome to Singastro and welcome to the hobby.

You would like to checkout our Astronomy Events & Observation Sessions (viewforum.php?f=5)
Some of the member here do sidewalk astronomy sessions for the public.

Do come and join us when the sky's clear with your CelestronAM70EQ for us to help you out.

There would also be an up coming talk on the 8 Dec at Toa Payoh Public Library from 7PM - 8.30PM (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11518). Maybe you would like to join us to learn the night sky better.

Thanks and clear skies!
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello! Welcome to the club!
I think it's a fine telescope for a beginner. $300 is a decent price for such an item.
The telescope is a long focus achromat which means it is a simple 2 lens design but because of its long focal length compared to its aperture, it does not disperse the various colors of light as much as other, shorter telescopes. Long focus achromats tend to be more forgiving of eyepieces and optical flaws.
The main disadvantages of your current scope are its smallish aperture and the relatively weaker tripod mount, done out of cost considerations. Therefore its best strengths will be for moon observations, some planet observations and bright star clusters. I think something you will enjoy is simply panning the sky and looking at all the stars in the field of view.
So join us at some of their observation sessions. I see both the Toa Payoh and Bishan Park gang had a session last night. For an even greater thrill, join the next Malaysia trip, probably after the monsoon is over. You'll be amazed at what you're beginner scope can do in dark skies.
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Ditto.

I remember a memorable view of Comet C/2001 Q4 (NEAT) using an ETX-60 (which is smaller than your scope!) from dark skies..
kwlharvey@yahoo.com

Hi all!
Thanks for the warm welcome. Its nice to know there are many people out there who has gone through the teething pains and willing to help newbies. :)

Now I am have more confidence with my scope. I assume the shop at Science Centre will have the extension/pier for any scope right? Will not touch the Dec circle for the time being... Just hoping the sky clear up soon.

I would be more than happy to go to a sidewalk astronomy session. But how do you usually transport the telescope. I drive myself, but cant imagine just dumping the scope in a red plastic bag and lugging it to the site, haha...
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Now I am have more confidence with my scope.
Glad that you have confidence in your scope!

I assume the shop at Science Centre will have the extension/pier for any scope right?
As for the pier, I do believe they do sell. Why not drop by to any of the session first. The last time we tried a CelestronAM70EQ setup, we did not have to use a pier.

But how do you usually transport the telescope?
I don’t drive and only be able to take a public transport around. My scopes, mount and Eps are put in a 80/75L hiking bag. Tripod hand carried. You might want to the best way to carry.
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
kwlharvey@yahoo.com

Btw, actually what got me started on all this is an article on the papers not related to astronomy at all. In Sunday times last sun, there was an article on FREE online courses one can take organised by this company called Coursera in conjunction with many reknown universities. My GF browsed through it and knowing that I have always been intrigued by the heavens and universe, signed me on to an Astronomy course conducted by a professor in Duke university. Its absolutely Free and online. Anyway, one thing led to another and I found myself in Science Centre the very same day buying a telescope. You can check out Coursera online for the course. The Astronomy Course starts in 1 week time.

https://www.coursera.org/#courses
Gary

Post by Gary »

Your gf is gonna regret getting you started in sky watching. Just kidding. :P

Before you buy any more accessory for your telescope, drop by a sidewalk session first. We can let you try out our accessories on your scope to let you make better informed decisions. After those sessions, you may prioritise your buying order differently. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.