Just registered today, looking for a equipment to start

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Gary

Re: Just registered today, looking for a equipment to start

Post by Gary »

VinSnr wrote: I don't really recommend 8x42 for astro use, although you can still see much of the sky with them. I started with a 8x30 nearly 27 years ago! Back then a decent 7x50 would a cost a bomb, so not much choice for a poor teenager then.

If possible, a 10x50 would be quite ideal in terms of portability, light-gathering and magnification for a beginner without stretching your budget.
Trading some magnification and aperture for a more stable view and/or better optics may be worthwhile for some (not all) users.

Personally, I have very weak arms I think. 7x50s and 10x50s still feel heavy after a short while and the view starts shaking. If a person's arm can hold them steadily, then they should give better overall experience. Depends on how the user enjoy binocular astronomy too. If it is only a very short few minutes once in a while, then the weight/stability issue can be compromised for a higher magnification + bigger aperture. Else, for long duration observing, the compromise may be made the other way round.
Last edited by Gary on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
buihia
Favourite scope: dont have one yet

Post by buihia »

Think for a start I'm more inclined towards the direction of casual viewing of the sky at night as a whole, lightweight and compact viewing.. I have weak arms too have..

My impression is that there's isn't always a lot of stars in the sky.. So its better to have a wider field of view ..as opposed to higher magnification and smaller field of view.. Is this understanding correctly?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
VinSnr wrote:
buihia wrote:That's true. Can I confirm that for minolta and Pentax bino, there is no more brand new stock anywhere?

That is one of the reason I'm looking for second hand due to the two brands..

Also Issit recommended that I get the Nikon 8x42 action ex from online as the price is much cheaper
I don't really recommend 8x42 for astro use, although you can still see much of the sky with them. I started with a 8x30 nearly 27 years ago! Back then a decent 7x50 would a cost a bomb, so not much choice for a poor teenager then.

If possible, a 10x50 would be quite ideal in terms of portability, light-gathering and magnification for a beginner without stretching your budget.
Actually, IMHO, I think a 8x42mm bino is very suitable for people with weak arm (like me) under Singapore light polluted sky.

7x50 bino should be idea if Singapore sky is not so light polluted... the contrast is quite bad as the light pollution is very obvious. 10x50mm is good for Singapore light-polluted sky, but quite heavy and the 10x magnification will amplify the handshake quite a lot.

By the way, I'm using the 10x42mm bino and I can't get a very steady view with it... may be too much coffee... ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.

PS: Welcome to SingAstro!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
buihia

Post by buihia »

tyty for all the replies..

can i check where can i get a more competitive price for the nikon 8x42 action ex?

seems like online is much cheaper but would prefer a local shop ..

if this is a sensitive topic.. kindly pm me please, thanks..
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
buihia wrote:tyty for all the replies..

can i check where can i get a more competitive price for the nikon 8x42 action ex?

seems like online is much cheaper but would prefer a local shop ..

if this is a sensitive topic.. kindly pm me please, thanks..
Is it?? How much did you get for online price? Did you include shipping?

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

buihia wrote:Think for a start I'm more inclined towards the direction of casual viewing of the sky at night as a whole, lightweight and compact viewing.. I have weak arms too have..

My impression is that there's isn't always a lot of stars in the sky.. So its better to have a wider field of view ..as opposed to higher magnification and smaller field of view.. Is this understanding correctly?
Wah buihia so fast make up your mind? Must GPGT or GLGT after you buy ok? [smilie=cheer.gif]

I notice there is quite a crowd in HWZ that likes astro too, do you know them personally? might want to introduce them here too.

Btw, just to add on abit, you can nv go wrong with binoculars, they are relatively cheap and highly versatile. Given its large field of view, you can easily locate and observe bright deep sky objects with ease. For this time of the year, some objects you don't want to miss are the pleaides lcuster (M45), great orion nebula (M42), Hyades cluster. Do join some of the sidewalks to learn more informtion and techniques on star-gazing. It will surely make your learning curve less ardous
buihia

Post by buihia »

He he yup I'm looking forward to my first pair of binos , I think I will stalk the buy and sell section for a second hand pair ofbbinos..

Meanwhile I'll read up more on the forum..will definitely gpgt after I get one