Stacking help pls

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
liquidice

Stacking help pls

Post by liquidice »

So, I shot a few set of Orion which is direction top from my head.
I picked one of the set to try stacking in dss
The setting of the shots was f2.2 15second iso 10000
18 light frame , 1 dark frame

I didn't do flat, bias, are they necessary for the stacking to work?

I follow one of the tutorial on dss to stack them,
I skipped the flat and bias cos I don't have them,

My first trial, result is all white
Second trial, a picture with all black and 10% of the left or right is white. Can't remember right or left

I m lost.

How to stack
Pls help thx
liquidice

Re: Stacking help pls

Post by liquidice »

iso was 1000. extra one zero, typo. sorry
camera is nikon d600, lens is 50mm F1.8
using vixen polarie as tracker
i shot a few sets:
f2.2 15s iso1000 18 light 1 dark
f1.8 20s iso800 12 light 1 dark
f2 13s iso1000 24 light 1 dark

2 other sets, not enough light frame , cos several rejected frame with clouds
i shot jpeg and raw. but i think DeepSkyStacker only accept jpeg, right??
thank you
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Stacking help pls

Post by cloud_cover »

DSS accepts both Nikon RAWs and JPGs. Generally its better to use RAW for stacking because it contains more data, hence more detail can be brought out in post processing.
DSS actually runs pretty well on auto mode with the exception of the final picture output. As DSS states, its not an image editor. If you save the final FITs or TIFF and open it in an image processor such as Photoshop or GIMP, you'll generally get a black picture and you'll need to brighten and contrast to get your final picture :)
Your images look white probably because of improper initial luminance settings in DSS. If you look at the window when your final stacked photo appears, there will be the 3 tabs showing RGB/K levels, Luminance and Saturation. Play around with the Luminance sliders and you should be able to bring out the actual photo. Generally if your luminance line is far to the left of the coloured curves, you'll have a whiteout and conversely, if its far to the left, there will be blackout.
Hope it helps :) I'll try to post some pictures so you can get an idea but my astrophoto pics are not with me currently.
DON'T PANIC