Need Expert Advice

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Jayyie

Need Expert Advice

Post by Jayyie »

Hi just wanna compare this two beginner telescope can anyone advice which 1 is better? Thanks

Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-130 EQ2

and

Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P FlexTube™
Gary

Re: Need Expert Advice

Post by Gary »

Hi Jayyie. Welcome to the forum!

"Better" is a subjective word. So you may decide which is better for *you* base on your preferences for:

- portability and storage (flextube over eq)
- need for ease of tracking objects in the sky (eq over flextube)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

IMHO, get a simple setup as a beginner. Through the use of it you will find out how much further you want to dive in. If in the event that you decided that Astronomy is not for you, you won't lose out too much when selling it off as compared with a more expensive setup.

Also, part of the joy is the finding process. The feeling of finding an object manually is quite hard to beat (although there might be more frustrations as well). [smilie=angel.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

the SkyWatcher Heritage Dob looks big and bulky to transport...unless if you have a car.

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Gary

Post by Gary »

The heritage dob should fit inside a big backpack (and freeing up both hands). If I am not mistaken and the user don't mind the hassle, the base can be further dismantled into a few parts. The OTA can be easily removed from the base (dovetail adapter). Recent owner like Mane have no problems bringing it out via public transport and bringing it around to various locations along Bishan Park for observing. So I guess car transportation is not a must and it is less bulky than it seems. :)

Can also watch this video to have a sense of its size: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEs_MMcJ7JA
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

I would put my flextube, ep and accessories in a hand held bag and the dob base in a red plastic bag that durian vendors usually use, everytime when i go for sidewalk sessions at toa payoh and bishan. No much of a problem. But of course, u would need a solid table top of raised surface to place the scope as compared to a tripod which u can setup almost anywhere u like! :)
Seize the day!