Questions

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ToastyBreadX
Favourite scope: Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ

Questions

Post by ToastyBreadX »

Hello! I am Toasty and i'm 13 this year , i know i'm rather young but i have been really intrested in astrophysics since like...11? Somewhere along that lines and as i grow, i noticed from my friends that singapore do not really offer astrophysics as a subject....Is that true? If its not then please tell me the JC or Uni that offers it so i can start to aim for that school. And jobs! Are there any jobs in Singapore that relates to astrophysics? Thanks :)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Questions

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello! Its never too early to learn!
Unfortunately I don't think there's many jobs in Singapore that deal with Astrophysics per se perhaps other than academic occupations.
Astrophysics really starts at basic science, where you learn to apply principles of Newtonian physics
to daily objects, then by extension, to hypothetical or abstract objects in an "ideal" situation (no correction for friction or resistance, 100% efficiency). You'll be doing this in your Physics classes in Secondary school.
If you do science in JC, you will then learn to apply physics on small (think atomic scale) and large (think planets)objects as well as integrate Calculus (differentiation/integration) computations to your formulae to derive more accurate answers as forces on the objects change with time or distance. You will also learn to account for extra forces and inefficiencies that no longer make the scenario "ideal". You will then also have a primer in applying Einsteinian or quantum corrections for scenarios in which the velocity of your object is a significant proportion of the speed of light.
If you've still kept your love for the subject, then in University you can further your studies either locally or abroad then the skies are truly your limit :)
All the best!
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Toasty. Welcome to the forum!

In addition to what uncle could_cover mentioned ( :) ), you may check out the societies and clubs in my blog page : http://www.astro.sg/p/resources.html

Whichever schools you go to, try to get involve in their astronomy club.

I am a believer of if there's a will, there's a way. If you are really interested in astrophysics, even if there is no local school offering such a course, you will find time to learn more about it on your own and realise your dream.

An example is photography, it is not taught formally in our formal education. But now we see some self-taught local photographers doing very well in their career (e.g. Hollywood celebrity photographer).

So for the time being, study hard and prove to others and mainly to yourself that you have the right stuff by doing very well in your Math and Science (especially Physics).

Wish you all the best and do join public stargazing sessions which is another fun and casual way to learn more about astrophysics. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ToastyBreadX

Post by ToastyBreadX »

Gary wrote:Hi Toasty. Welcome to the forum!

In addition to what uncle could_cover mentioned ( :) ), you may check out the societies and clubs in my blog page : http://www.astro.sg/p/resources.html

I am a believer of if there's a will, there's a way. If you are really interested in astrophysics, even if there is no local school offering such a course, you will find time to learn more about it on your own and realise your dream.

An example is photography, it is not taught formally in our formal education. But now we see some self-taught local photographers doing very well in their career (e.g. Hollywood celebrity photographer).

So for the time being, study hard and prove to others and mainly to yourself that you have the right stuff by doing very well in your Math and Science (especially Physics).

Wish you all the best and do join public stargazing sessions which is another fun and casual way to learn more about astrophysics. :)
Ahhh i see! Thanks for the help but for the clubs... ummm sorry I'm a dedicated choir girl :p Though maybe JC i can change! :) I also just did my Physics paper today :D It was good! Anyways thank you Uncle and Uncle cloud_cover :D
ToastyBreadX

Post by ToastyBreadX »

Gary wrote:Hi Toasty. Welcome to the forum!

Oh! and another thing do u have any telescope or binoculars to recommend for someone who is low on budget and where to get them :) thanks
Gary

Post by Gary »

ToastyBreadX wrote:Ahhh i see! Thanks for the help but for the clubs... ummm sorry I'm a dedicated choir girl :p Though maybe JC i can change!
Btw, in case you didn't know, some physicists are also musicians - e.g. Prof Brian Cox.
ToastyBreadX wrote: Oh! and another thing do u have any telescope or binoculars to recommend for someone who is low on budget and where to get them :) thanks
Perhaps the most often asked question in the hobby. The following is my standard reply. Hope it is useful to you: http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi toasty bread, welcome to the forum,

NUS physics dept has some astro modules in year 3 and 4
http://www.physics.nus.edu.sg/student/u ... e1112.html

Main major can be physics with specialization in astrophysics as one of the choices :)

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi ToastyBreadX. Perhaps you can consider studying in NJC in the future. :)

Read this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11956

"From this year onwards, students will also be able to opt for research electives such as astrophysics, astrochemistry and astrobiology."

-- John Dobson.