Milky way?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Re: Milky way?

Post by Davegn »

zymon wrote:Your photo on the top of page 4. Is that the tail of Scorpio and maybe M6 and M7 near by. Wow!!
Thanks for the "WOW"! [smilie=admire2.gif]

2 of the same images this time better Processing.
thanks to @Looyaa for sharing with me idea on how to process the shot!

Colorful M8 lingers on the top left of the images. :)
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Dave you are welcome!

For the benefits of all who want to try to shoot the milky way in Singapore, the idea is about boasting the dynamic range of the stacked photo (after curves & levels adjustments). There is a lot of "hidden" data derived from stacking many photos.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

wow..great skill! its like the light pollution wasnt even there.. [smilie=crying2.gif]
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

antares2063 wrote:wow..great skill! its like the light pollution wasnt even there.. [smilie=crying2.gif]
Light pollution is definitely there....it is cropping the photos that helps to "hide" it :mryellow:

Singapore light polluted sky and the milky way

Taken on 17 July 2013 after moonset
Bidadari Park
Single exposure 80 seconds
Shot with a 8mm fisheye lens
Pentax O-GPS1 Astrotracer function enabled

Original photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9309239624/
Gary

Post by Gary »

Gorgeous fish-eye shot and composition! Leave no doubts Milky Way can indeed to be shot in Singapore with the right skills, mindset and determination! [smilie=good-job.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Good effort Looya. You can also consider using monchrome approach which makes colour rendition unnecessary.:)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Gary wrote:Gorgeous fish-eye shot and composition! Leave no doubts Milky Way can indeed to be shot in Singapore with the right skills, mindset and determination! [smilie=good-job.gif]
Thanks Gary! haha must add in...."as well as willingness to sacrifice a few hours of sleep to wait for sky to clear" [smilie=dreaming.gif]
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Airconvent wrote:Good effort Looya. You can also consider using monchrome approach which makes colour rendition unnecessary.:)
Thanks Airconvent for the pointer! A very good point indeed! If you are referring to the fisheye shot, I tried rendering it in monochrome but the noise looks way too distracting. Perhaps due to the fact that that is a single exposure.

So I did a reprocessed version of my first milky way shot at Marina Barrage (the photo on page one of this thread), it does looks good in monochrome. If rendering colors, it shows the presence of the high clouds and distracting color tones. Thanks again for the pointer :D

Original size photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9291261851/
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

looyaa wrote:
Airconvent wrote:Good effort Looya. You can also consider using monchrome approach which makes colour rendition unnecessary.:)
Thanks Airconvent for the pointer! A very good point indeed! If you are referring to the fisheye shot, I tried rendering it in monochrome but the noise looks way too distracting. Perhaps due to the fact that that is a single exposure.
So I did a reprocessed version of my first milky way shot at Marina Barrage (the photo on page one of this thread), it does looks good in monochrome. If rendering colors, it shows the presence of the high clouds and distracting color tones. Thanks again for the pointer :D
Practice makes perfect ,Looyaa. Your conversion is pretty good! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Post by DarthCryder »

seem like the sky is clearing up tonite(at least thru my kitchen window facing the north)... hopefully it will last as long as it could until morning. :D