Milky way?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Re: Milky way?

Post by Davegn »

Hi all,

I did another round of imaging this time, in a much darker spot at thompson.
started imaging at 8.15pm.
Sco was still low. [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]

Singapore Milky way in 50MM view.
Pentax K30
Tammy 17-50 F/2.8 @ 50mm F/5.6
46 x 1 Min
ISO 400
5 dark and 5 Bias
astrotracer

When Sco rose higher so did the high clouds came in [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]
Imaged this at 9.20PM

Singapore milky Way in 17mm view (With a lot of high clouds)
Pentax K30
Tammy 17-50 F/2.8 @ 17mm F/5.6
12 x 1 Min
ISO 400
5 dark and 5 Bias
astrotracer
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

thehasoe wrote:Wow,

This thread make me take Milky way photo too.
Will try for sure as am so inspired too :D

Thanks
Thiha
Hi Thiha,

You should go ahead and give it a try!
glad that this thread inspired you!
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

I'm inspired! I should try shooting the Milky Way from place at Bukit Timah. but I don't have a tracking mount so I'll see what I can do.

Maybe if I'm brave enough and can find someone to follow me. I could try taking from inside Bukit Brown.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

Wednesday Night was great. Finally took my new Telescope down to the pool of my condo and was able to see things I have never seem from my Balcony. Scorpio was so clear and Sagitarius Teapot was aslo very clear. Was astounded by something called M24 Sagittarious star cloud. It was a gaint cluster of stars that went on and on.... Assume this is because its the centre of the Milkyway.

Plus many other constellations and stars I have never seen before. Although I did not agree with my GOTO on the Deneb (Eagle) and Vega (Lyra). I was right the GOTO shurely was wrong!!

I think I need a better viewing scope that is better on my neck for all those vertical stars above.

WOW! very enjoyable!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

zymon wrote:
I think I need a better viewing scope that is better on my neck for all those vertical stars above.
Hmm..didnt your telescope come with a diagonal ? :)

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Zymon. Congrats on a fruitful evening of observation! You may start a new thread to share with us your exciting cosmic adventures. Else this Milky Way thread may go off-topic. Nothing personal, hope you don't mind. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Dave - excellent works on milky way in Singapore! It is great that you image it as well. Hope this will motivate more local APers to try it out in Singapore. I have been shooting the MW only at 12mm focal length. Maybe I should try out other focal length next time.

Looks like you and me were shooting at around the same time on Wednesday night. My location was at Bidadari Park. Clouds were moving in fast from the left as can be seen in the photo. Only managed one sequence of 40 shots before being forced to return home by the clouds.

Details
40 x 13 seconds
Stacked using DSS (all light frames)
12mm focal length
ISO640
Taken on 10 July 2013, 9:20pm
Tripod: Yes
Equatorial mount: No

To see the higher res version, go to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9264401704/

More photos coming up soon....

George
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Mystiq, Thiha, Avarielle - Great! Please try and let us know how's the results. Bukit Brown, which I believe, should be a good dark spot to do imaging. Worth exploring. Don't worry too much, I think living beings are more scary than the rested ones. :D

zymon - Thanks for sharing your experience! I can relate to your excitement, especially when I see the milky way pop up in my photos. Agreed that Wednesday night was good. If you can see the sagittarius clouds clearly, this means the milky way can be photographed! And I did just that on Wednesday by sacrificing few hours of sleep....

Since I started out with the images of milky way in May and June, I guess I should follow up with the July ones. If time & weather permit, I may continue to post milky way photos shot in Singapore every month.

Photos below are taken after midnight (i.e. early hours of 11 July 2013) at Bidadari returning once again after being forced home by the clouds in the earlier shoot. To be honest, I think I may have self-poisoned myself with these photos.... [smilie=dead.gif]

This 1st photo is stacked using 50 photos x 13 sec each.

Further details of this photo is available on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9261629829/

This 2nd photo is my first proper try using Pentax o-gps1 with astrotracer function. My camera was pointed nearly towards zenith and I wasn't sure how the final photo will turn out to be...cos not sure whether the astrotracer will work properly in a near vertical orientation. The shoot was interrupted again by incoming clouds on the 6th exposure.

With 5 photos x 1 min each, this is the stacked result:

Further details of this photo available on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9261632933/

With astrotracer, it seems to give a better result. But it does not mean that you need one in order to shoot the milky way. Even without astrotracer and with "short" exposure & stacking more photos, it seems to be able to give simiilar results. :mryellow:

George
Last edited by looyaa on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

So good it's ridiculous! [smilie=good-job.gif]

Others poison self, got cure. Self poison self, no cure! [smilie=crying.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

Your photo on the top of page 4. Is that the tail of Scorpio and maybe M6 and M7 near by. Wow!!