Milky way?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
looyaa

Milky way?

Post by looyaa »

A newbie to astrophotography reporting here and saying hi to everyone on this forum! :)

I got a newbie question on a photo which I took it on 19 May 2013 using DSLR and a UWA lens. This was taken at Marina Barrage. It was clear skies that day and I could see quite a fair bit of bright stars from my house. So I decided to drop by Marina Barrage for some stars field shoots. Shot a total of 8 sets of 12 photos each.

When I stacked the photos of each set using DSS (newbie to DSS also) and made some curve adjustments, the final photos all showed a cloud like pattern in the photo. I thought these may be high level clouds but similar pattern shows for the first and last set which were shot at least 1 hour apart.

Took the final photo to do further adjustments using PS and this is the resulting photo. Heard that able to see the milky way is rare in Singapore due to the severe light pollution. So I would need some help from the seniors to see whether this photo shows the milky way?

Sorry for the blue cast in the photo as I have adjusted the white balance to give it a cooler color. Don't know why that this adjustment actually helps to make the contrast better. Also my first time posting photo on this forum...not sure whether I doing this correctly....

Thanks for viewing! :)

George.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Re: Milky way?

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Err... where is the image?? If you not sure how to display the image, put the image http address.

Welcome to SingAstro.

Have a nice day and Lok Vah Koor.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Err... where is the image?? If you not sure how to display the image, put the image http address.

Welcome to SingAstro.

Have a nice day and Lok Vah Koor.

Thanks for highlighting...really noob at attaching pic.

This is the image address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/8768150235/
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I edit your first post to include the image.

Yes, that's the milky way and I think may be the best milky way photo I had seen that is taken in Singapore.

Well done and good job!! [smilie=admire.gif]

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi looyaa. Welcome to the forum!

Milky Way it is! Amazing! Just like what Weixing commented, this is also the best milky way photo shot in Singapore I have seen so far. What an achievement under the crazy light-polluted skies of Singapore.

This thread should be moved to the Astrophotography section. And the question mark in the subject header changed to three exclamation marks!

Sent you a PM.

[smilie=good-job.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Wow!!!
Agree with gary title should be "Milky Way!!!"
And agree with wei xing that is the Best image of the Milky Way I have seen in Singapore!!!
From your image you were also able to capture fair bit of DSO.
Maybe you like to tally with what you image with a star map to see what DSO you have caught.
[smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif]
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

i remember that night (19th) was very clear too ! there was a first quarter moon i think... and nice pic and effort from singapore skies, looyaa!

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Hi Weixing, Gary, Dave, Junwei - Thanks for confirming that this is the Milky Way! Also thanks to Gavin (Starfinder) for his help when I first reach out to him via PM. Gosh I am THRILLED!!! And yes it should be named "Milky Way!!!" [smilie=bye2.gif]

Gary -> Replied your PM. Let me know your thoughts

Dave -> Tough task that you have given me! haha...I am still a newbie in astro but will try my best to see whether I can identify any DSO

Junwei -> Yes it was very clear especially in the wee hours! I was at Marina Barrage rooftop open field from 2:30am to 3:30am when the quarter moon has already set. I guess a moonless sky helps to improve visibility. The most visible stars field that I was shooting was very high in the sky and my camera was pointing near to straight up.

I guess it is still possible to see(photo) the milky way in light polluted Singapore when the conditions are right. I am lucky to get this shot and glad to be able to share with you guys!

Thanks
George
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

looyaa wrote:Hi Weixing, Gary, Dave, Junwei - Thanks for confirming that this is the Milky Way! Also thanks to Gavin (Starfinder) for his help when I first reach out to him via PM. Gosh I am THRILLED!!! And yes it should be named "Milky Way!!!" [smilie=bye2.gif]

Thanks
George

Thanks, George.

Yup, I expressed the view that it is the Milky Way but suggested that the question be also posed on the main forum to see what others think.

Some stars can be identified in the photo, such as the tail of Scorpius and the Teapot in Sagittarius, and the patches correspond to where the Milky Way should be.

Milky Way images from Singapore are rare and this is perhaps the best one I've seen! Congrats.
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

George, you are one lucky chap! [smilie=cute2.gif]
Seize the day!