Milky way?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
looyaa

Re: Milky way?

Post by looyaa »

A good read on how a photographer in LA captures photos of the milky way against a light polluted sky. I am guilty of making the same mistake in term of over-exposed shots :(

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/the-milky-wa ... pollution/

Singapore version of what is hidden beyond the LP. Sorry for the lousy pp...kinda of hard to pp a single shot compared to stacked

90 secs single shot, Iso400, f4 with astrotracer

The light pollution

After pp

btw milky way is rising & setting earlier and earlier. If I am not wrong, the first two weeks of August should still be good for shooting the milky way. So if anyone wants to try, do watch out for clear night sky these two weeks.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Very interesting read, George! Thanks for sharing.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

I think a suitable place to explore would be lck cemetries area. Deep inside with no street lamps and it should be rather dark place for milkyway shoot. Maybe Gary want to conduct a sidewalk for good brothers during the coming festival.....
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

So many Milky Way experts here!

Maybe this upcoming long weekend, I might try to capture the Milky Way from my place at Bukit Timah.

Time to borrow Pentax O-GPS unit from Dave. If he can capture Milky Way at Ang Mo Kio, I'm hoping that I can capture something from my place as well.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

ggodetucsamoht wrote:I think a suitable place to explore would be lck cemetries area. Deep inside with no street lamps and it should be rather dark place for milkyway shoot. Maybe Gary want to conduct a sidewalk for good brothers during the coming festival.....
Although I never been there before, I am pretty sure lck area is good based on your description. But the weather just won't cooperate in the past 10 days....:(
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Avarielle wrote:So many Milky Way experts here!

Maybe this upcoming long weekend, I might try to capture the Milky Way from my place at Bukit Timah.

Time to borrow Pentax O-GPS unit from Dave. If he can capture Milky Way at Ang Mo Kio, I'm hoping that I can capture something from my place as well.
Seems like you got a Pentax camera as well [smilie=bye2.gif]
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

First MW shoot for August 2013. Started at around yesterday midnight when the MW was starting to set. Sky was actually not as clear as I have hoped for (some thin high clouds were present). Nevertheless still managed to image the MW for the 4th month in a row :mryellow:

12 x 60secs

Details & original photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9490867765/

Thanks for viewing
George
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good stuff! Keep shooting Milky. Never know when you get lucky with a fireball flying into the framing! [smilie=good-job.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

looyaa wrote:
Avarielle wrote:So many Milky Way experts here!

Seems like you got a Pentax camera as well [smilie=bye2.gif]
Indeed. It is a very welcome upgrade from my Nikon D40. Not saying that the D40 is bad, but I like shiny tech toys and I like to treat myself to them at times.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Another shot of the Milky Way taken but this time with landscape :mryellow:

Taken during the Perseid meteors obs session with Gary and Dave on 13 August 2013 at Bishan Park. A impromptu attempt to try out a landscape shot of the Milky Way since the southern sky was clear before the clouds moved in.

This is a blended photo made up of 3x60secs for background and a 10 sec exposure of the same scene for foreground. Still learning how to blend properly but I think this photo is the best I can do based on my limited pp knowledge.

Details & original photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58196275@N04/9509210055/

Thanks for viewing
George