Celestron C6-SGT

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
thehasoe

Re: Celestron C6-SGT

Post by thehasoe »

orly_andico wrote:Your best options if you don't want a computer are
1) Lacerta MGEN - this can also control your DSLR's shutter
2) SBIG SG-4 - the ST-i guiding kit will also work on the SG-4 AFAIK. Less hardware to futz around with.
Ah man, too many choice now. Totally lost. Let me think carefully before i buy anything :D
orly_andico wrote: but AGAIN: before spending money on these things, why not use a long camera lens instead?

If you are intent on getting your wife to spend money on you :mryellow: (I know the feeling!) ask for a Nikon 180ED AF lens. This is a great portrait and wildlife lens, and is also a great - one of the best - astrophotography lenses. I assume you're using a Nikon DSLR so it's a win-win. You can use the 180ED with your DSLR on your CG-5 and forget about guiding.
I use Nikon D3s, i can't buy as my wife already ask me to promise not to buy any more LENS!
But of course i will borrow them from my friends and try :D
I need clear sky for that right?

Thanks for your advices too
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

no matter what you use, you will always need a clear sky.

in fact it will be much more challenging using the C6 because its focal ratio is a pathetic f/10 (or f/6.3 with the reducer).

the Nikon 180ED is f/2.8 so much faster. So a 1-minute exposure with the Nikon, to get the same depth, would require about 6 minutes at f/6.3 and perhaps 10 minutes at f/10.

but then if you're using a big-ticket camera like a D3S then you probably have the (mandatory for big-ticket camera owners) 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR. Which at 200mm is a great astro lens as well.
thehasoe

Post by thehasoe »

orly_andico wrote:no matter what you use, you will always need a clear sky.

in fact it will be much more challenging using the C6 because its focal ratio is a pathetic f/10 (or f/6.3 with the reducer).

the Nikon 180ED is f/2.8 so much faster. So a 1-minute exposure with the Nikon, to get the same depth, would require about 6 minutes at f/6.3 and perhaps 10 minutes at f/10.

but then if you're using a big-ticket camera like a D3S then you probably have the (mandatory for big-ticket camera owners) 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR. Which at 200mm is a great astro lens as well.
My friend has 70-200 f2.8! Will go and borrow from him this weekend lol

How about Macro 105mm f2.8? Able to use it as well? If yes, then i have it lol
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The macro lens will work. I have an old photo of M31 with a 100mm macro lens.

It will just be rather small...

For example, this is the M42 complex in Orion which I took some years ago with a very simple $200 mount (a motorized Vixen Polaris, with no GoTo), a Pentax K20D, and a 50mm (!!!) lens.

If you look closely, you can see the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas, in addition of course to M42.

And M45 (the Pleiades) with a 100mm macro (not too interesting)

This is the Orion complex (again) centered on the Horsehead and Flame, with a 180mm Canon macro (took this in SG from the balcony, so there isn't much detail due to the bad light pollution)

There's a lot that can be done with camera lenses...
thehasoe

Post by thehasoe »

orly_andico wrote:The macro lens will work. I have an old photo of M31 with a 100mm macro lens.

It will just be rather small...

For example, this is the M42 complex in Orion which I took some years ago with a very simple $200 mount (a motorized Vixen Polaris, with no GoTo), a Pentax K20D, and a 50mm (!!!) lens.

If you look closely, you can see the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas, in addition of course to M42.

And M45 (the Pleiades) with a 100mm macro (not too interesting)

This is the Orion complex (again) centered on the Horsehead and Flame, with a 180mm Canon macro (took this in SG from the balcony, so there isn't much detail due to the bad light pollution)

There's a lot that can be done with camera lenses...
Oh Man, i gonna try with my Macro lens before i got 70-200 from my friend.
I need to go out to the darkness places to avoid light pollution too right?

Any places that u normally go and take astro photos?
Thanks
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

sadly all these images are years old.

the last time i traveled to a dark sky site was in august 2012. at mersing with remus and the rest of the singastro folks.

SG itself is pretty difficult because of the light pollution and haze.
thehasoe

Post by thehasoe »

orly_andico wrote:sadly all these images are years old.

the last time i traveled to a dark sky site was in august 2012. at mersing with remus and the rest of the singastro folks.

SG itself is pretty difficult because of the light pollution and haze.
That right, these days also raining and cloudy at night. I have no chance to see Saturn again these day :(