Is the Orion XT8 a good telescope?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
OkkaTL

Is the Orion XT8 a good telescope?

Post by OkkaTL »

Hi everyone. I have been interested in astronomy since I was in primary school. A few months ago, I came across many astronomy websites like this one and the astro.sg website. It really increased my curiosity and interest in astronomy.
I have about a $450 budget and now I am looking to buy a decent telescope. The Orion XT8 seems like a good choice since it is within my budget and also has a large aperture. The reviews I have read on ebay and amazon were also good ones, with many people saying that it is a good choice for newbies like me.
However, the telescope looks quite big on the pictures I found online. As I live in a HDB flat, I would have to bring it to dark sky sites and I am worried that the telescope would be too bulky to fit inside my family's Nissan Sunny. Placing it on the back seats is also not an option as my family of four will be seated in the car, meaning that the only option left is to put it in the trunk.
I would like to ask the experts on the forums whether the Orion XT8 is easy to transport for 14 year old me, and whether the telescope would fit in the car, and if not, what other telescopes would meet my expectations? (I want to look at basically everything in the night sky: the moon, planets, nebulae and other galaxies) If I decide to buy a telescope, should I purchase it online or buy it from shops in Singapore?
Thanks in advance:)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Is the Orion XT8 a good telescope?

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello!
An 8" Dob is a very good size for viewing most objects.
I personally have no experience with Orion Dobs but the bulk is often more of a factor than the weight - It may be easy to carry a 15kg box, for example, but a large 15kg tube with delicate glass parts is another matter.
Also, your Dob is likely to require some sort of transportation unless you're just moving downstairs.
I strongly suggest you see the item hands-on first before buying so you will know if you can handle its seize and weight :)
As far as Dobs go, Orion is a mass-producer but for the large parts its optics are decent and will provide you with many hours of enjoyment under the night sky.
Regarding shipping: for a large object from the US its usually quite expensive. My 8" SCT, a much smaller type of scope cost me almost USD$200 to ship. Unless you're sure you have that factored in as well, then $450 may not be sufficient for this purchase.
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi OkkaTL. Welcome to the hobby and forum!

If you must stick to your $450 budget, prefers a dobsonian design, don't mind the inconvenience of not have tripod legs to raise the telescope higher and don't mind helical focusing, you may consider the Sky-Watcher Heritage 130p. Read this thread from start to finish to find out more about this telescope:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11589&hilit=heritage+130p

You may rest this telescope on top of your family car boot at a dark location (e.g. car parks) and stargaze. With the car space savings, perhaps bring a foldable table/chair to increase observing comfort.

The Orion XT8 visuals will no doubt trump the Heritage 130p. But it may be too bulky and heavy - almost 18.6 kg. Another alternative is to look for 6-inch/8-inch travel dob designs making use of truss tubes instead of solid one-piece tube like the XT8. But they can be expensive.

Take your time to research and find out more before buying your telescope. You may find this article useful: http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

In the meantime, have fun joining the free public stargazing sessions in Singapore:
http://www.astro.sg/2013/01/public-star ... apore.html

Good luck!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

8 inch dobs aren't exactly what I would call portable, it would be better for you to join in various outreach sessions and see the various makes and models of telescopes available first :)

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight