First time to leave my Balcony !

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

First time to leave my Balcony !

Post by zymon »

Wednesday Night was great. Finally took my new Telescope down to the pool of my condo and was able to see things I have never seem from my Balcony. Scorpio was so clear and Sagitarius Teapot was aslo very clear. Was astounded by something called M24 Sagittarious star cloud. It was a gaint cluster of stars that went on and on.... Assume this is because its the centre of the Milkyway.

Plus many other constellations and stars I have never seen before. Although I did not agree with my GOTO on the Deneb (Eagle) and Vega (Lyra). I was right the GOTO shurely was wrong!!

I think I need a better viewing scope that is better on my neck for all those vertical stars above.

WOW! very enjoyable!
Gary

Re: Fist time to leave my Balcony !

Post by Gary »

Congrats on taking the 8SE out to the open! Did any curious neighbours walked by and looked at these wonderful objects through your telescope? :)

I assume your neck pain is referring to the straight through finder. Try upgrading it to a right-angled powered finder. Or spend some time to learn how to align the 8SE accurately so you need not use the finder that frequently.

Hope you took some photos of your session so you may re-live these nice memories in the future! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
zymon

Re: First time to leave my Balcony !

Post by zymon »

I don't know anything about photographing stars yet. What might I need to buy. I have read about a Cannon T ring or something, then I have read about focal reduser but apart from that......?

I was a bit worried that the security guard might wonder if im looking into ppls units!

Was going to go out tonight (Saturday) but the sky looks like a thick fog!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I think Gary meant photographing you with your equipment! :)
GOTO on such a long focal length scope usually doesn't land you right on the target so some fine tuning is needed but of great importance is your initial alignment. Make sure you align properly so the rest of the session will be that much easier!
Have fun with your new scope! :)
DON'T PANIC
zymon

Post by zymon »

I don't know if I imagined it be I was sure I saw 2 shooting stars only lasted about a second - so quick I was wondering if I was going crazy....
Gary

Post by Gary »

zymon wrote: I was a bit worried that the security guard might wonder if im looking into ppls units!
You may invite them to take a look through your telescope. This will clear up any potential misunderstanding. Then, he will share his experience with his colleagues. And if residents call them up in the future, they will then have the right "answer" and will most probably not interrupt your future observing sessions.

I love showing astronomical views to security guards and police officers. I treat them just like any other sidewalk public - another opportunity to spread astro awareness.

A few months ago, I invited one security officer at Toa Payoh Central to take a look at Saturn, Moon, M7. Needless to say, he was very impressed with what he saw. We become friends and exchanged numbers. Since he is doing the overnight shift, he told me that I can just call/sms him if I need an update of the sky situation in Toa Payoh Central. My other encounters with police officers in the past few years are equally positive and rewarding, the most recent one during our last sidewalk there few days ago.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.