Totally new to this hobbie

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
hawketeng

Re: Totally new to this hobbie

Post by hawketeng »

when is the next sidewalk? I stay at sengkang, sidewalk at TPY no issue. I tried last Sun at East Coast to try look at stars but all I can see through the scope is my own eyelashes. Think something is wrong with my setting.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

this weekend i believe there will be a sidewalk in bishan park to view the meteor shower.. praying for clear skies~
Born to be Free
Gary

Post by Gary »

hawketeng wrote:when is the next sidewalk? I stay at sengkang, sidewalk at TPY no issue. I tried last Sun at East Coast to try look at stars but all I can see through the scope is my own eyelashes. Think something is wrong with my setting.
You can check the Events and Observation forum here regularly. Due to unpredictable weather, event announcement may be quite last minute. Check it everyday from about 6pm - 8pm. Very good chance of having sidewalk(s) if the sky is blue in the late afternoon.

If you are on twitter, you may follow @astrosg, @BishanParkAstro and @weixingastro for sidewalks at Toa Payoh Central, Bishan Park and Tampines respectively.

If you are on Facebook, you may join the Fb group at https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy

Do bring your telescope, family and friends along during sidewalks. The telescope volunteers will be able to show you how to use your telescope and many tips on how to enjoy stargazing with it. These tips and advice may save you a lot of time, heartache and money trying to figure out too many new things all by yourself.

Hope to you see you soon in upcoming sidewalks!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.