Totally new to this hobbie

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
hawketeng

Totally new to this hobbie

Post by hawketeng »

Hi guys, need help to buy a decent telescope for viewing of stars and moon. My son recently had asked me questions about space, stars etc but i couldn't really explain to him how they look like. My budget is around $300 for a scope. Am planning to go down to the showroom at science center today to look around. Any recommendation? Hopefully its not too difficult to operate them.
ggodetucsamoht

Re: Totally new to this hobbie

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Hi, welcome to the hobby.....cockroach hobby!!!

For yours I think you might want to look at any celestron refractor that come with AZ mount. These range of scope will let you kick start in the hobby pretty fast and easier to operate without the need to troubles yourself into scope alignment. Once you being hook on to this hobby further then you can look into more better scope few days later. YES, I am saying you will hook into it few days later after owning yourself the first scope and having your "first light" on moon and saturn. Hence as such in astro we normally select equipment base on your budget to get those scope which has an objective as big as what your pocket telling you so. By scrolling into the sci ctr only able to let you see the hardware but not their performance so it will be good to drop by sidewalk conducted by some members here to has a proper "poisoning" by them and thus able to selext a best scope which suit your needs.

Thomas
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi hawketeng. Welcome to the forum!

Before buying a telescope, you may borrow some books/magainzes from the library about astronomy and telescopes and find out what can be seen through them. In addition to the resources you can find in this forum, you may find this brief buying guide useful: http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

Joining public stargazing sessions is highly recommended: http://www.astro.sg/2013/01/public-star ... apore.html

There is also a free telescope loan project going on: http://www.astro.sg/2013/06/free-loan-o ... omers.html

There is free public stargazing talk at Toa Payoh Public Library this coming Monday 5 August from 7:30pm - 8:30pm. No registration required. Weather permitting, there will be a live stargazing session at the open grounds outside the library.

Have fun exploring the Universe together with your son!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yes, as per Gray suggestion, you should join in some observation session and look through some scope first before buying. Then you will had a better understanding of what scope is more suitable for you.

Have a nice day and Welcome to SingAstro.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Scopes are not difficult to operate one your know what you're doing but I strongly suggest you drop by one of Gary's session or Dave's Bishan Park sessions and look through the various scopes available that night. Then you can know what each scope can or cannot do :)
DON'T PANIC
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

hi Hawketeng, Next weekend (national day), i believe Gary and Dave will be planning a sidewalk astro session, do join them and get a chance to look at different type of scopes :)
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
hawketeng

Post by hawketeng »

Thanks guys, after reading some articles from the forum, I managed to buy the Celestron power seeker 70EQ for a start which is within my budget. My kids are excited after I assemble the scope, but really dont have chance to try it due to current weather condition...looks like going to rain tonight.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

when the weather is better and we have a sidewalk session, come join us, with the more experienced people around, they can bring out the best ur scope can do.. :D
Born to be Free
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

Awesome! Another Astromaster 70 user!

I have the same set up. Except that the EQ mount is now living in Dave's house as his tracking system for astro-photography.

The scope is a good scope. But the mount isn't the best. Still it is a good scope to begin with.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

Eh..one more scope coming to TPY sidewalk? [smilie=admire2.gif]..do we need to apply for a permit to operate soon? [smilie=evil-smile.gif]
Seize the day!