Budget S$200 what telescope should I be looking for?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
neytirilover

Budget S$200 what telescope should I be looking for?

Post by neytirilover »

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and almost new to stargazing (I had a 50mm refractor telescope when I was young).

I have basic grasp of the night sky, I know how to find stars and planets using star charts, and I can recognize Orion, Taurus (if the sky is clear to see Pleiades) without the aid of star chart.

Currently I'm considering picking it back as my hobby and settle for this hobby, however, my budget for equipment is quite limited, only s$200.

I wonder if I should settle for a binocular first or maybe wait for super bargains in Buy and Sell and probably get a 5 inch parabolic newtonian? However I don't even have budget for a tripod, let along equatorial mount.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Re: Budget S$200 what telescope should I be looking for?

Post by Davegn »

First of all welcome to singastro and welcome back to astronomy.

As for the mount, Depending on what want to do. If for visual use, you need not require an EQ mount but you would still require a stable tripod for the 5" newt.

Do drop by for any of our singastro ob sessions and feel free to look and ask the scope owners about their setups before get your setup
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Gary

Post by Gary »

neytirilover wrote:Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and almost new to stargazing (I had a 50mm refractor telescope when I was young).

I have basic grasp of the night sky, I know how to find stars and planets using star charts, and I can recognize Orion, Taurus (if the sky is clear to see Pleiades) without the aid of star chart.

Currently I'm considering picking it back as my hobby and settle for this hobby, however, my budget for equipment is quite limited, only s$200.

I wonder if I should settle for a binocular first or maybe wait for super bargains in Buy and Sell and probably get a 5 inch parabolic newtonian? However I don't even have budget for a tripod, let along equatorial mount.
Hello neytirilover. Welcome to forum! As Dave mentioned, joining public stargazing sessions is the best thing you can do BEFORE buying any astronomical equipment.

Binocular astronomy can be enjoyable in Singapore. $200 is good budget for a good binocular. For a complete decent beginner telescope set, a bit on the low side. Try to continue to save up some more in the meantime while researching about the different pros and cons of different telescope design/brand/model. Lots of good books available in the library to help you in your research (e.g. Star Ware).

I have a free telescope loan project for newcomers just like yourself. Quite a few people in the same situation like yourself now have benefited from it free of charge. They are now happily researching more into buying their very own first telescope instead of buying on impulse with limited theoretical and experiential knowledge of what are the factors to seriously consider before buying. You can find more info about this project here: http://www.astro.sg/2013/06/free-loan-o ... omers.html

You already acquired some basic astronomical/stargazing knowledge. Don't put that to waste. Build on it and enjoy the Universe like never before!

Good luck and hope you see soon in our stargazing sessions!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
neytirilover

Post by neytirilover »

Gary wrote:
neytirilover wrote:Hello all,

Hello neytirilover. Welcome to forum! As Dave mentioned, joining public stargazing sessions is the best thing you can do BEFORE buying any astronomical equipment.

Binocular astronomy can be enjoyable in Singapore. $200 is good budget for a good binocular. For a complete decent beginner telescope set, a bit on the low side. Try to continue to save up some more in the meantime while researching about the different pros and cons of different telescope design/brand/model. Lots of good books available in the library to help you in your research (e.g. Star Ware).

I have a free telescope loan project for newcomers just like yourself. Quite a few people in the same situation like yourself now have benefited from it free of charge. They are now happily researching more into buying their very own first telescope instead of buying on impulse with limited theoretical and experiential knowledge of what are the factors to seriously consider before buying. You can find more info about this project here: http://www.astro.sg/2013/06/free-loan-o ... omers.html

You already acquired some basic astronomical/stargazing knowledge. Don't put that to waste. Build on it and enjoy the Universe like never before!

Good luck and hope you see soon in our stargazing sessions!
Thank you very much guys, I've joined observing sessions in Science Center for a couple of times, and I know you're organizing roadside session in the east, I think I'll be there next time:)

As for the telescope issue, I've decided to postpone my budget, due to the fact that I might be going to Hawaii next year, I think I might just get a descent set of large aperture newtonian reflector there and find my way up to Mauna Kea Observatory~:D
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

pack light. so u can check in your scope. make sure they foam pack it properly, airports are known to damage everything, including boxes with fragile icons pasted on it.
Born to be Free
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

If you're thinking of buying a reflector in Hawaii, then you might want to get a Dobsonian because you don't have to worry about a separate mount. Also, with the marvelous skies at Maunea Kea, a largish reflector will certainly show a tremendous amount of stuff although I must caution that you'll want to use the telescope first for a bit to familiarize yourself with it
If you're shipping a reflector or bringing it home by air transport, you might want to unpack the mirror and put in a separate box, to prevent breakage.
There are, apparently, telescopes for free use at the Visitor's Information Station and a free "tour" from 6-10pm. You might want to consider that instead since the hassle of operating the telescope will be borne by trained operators plus you will have no shipping to do.
As an aside, buying a telescope, new or used in the USA is usually cheaper than doing so locally :) Skywatcher is an exception since the local dealer's price does match UK/Europe prices (Skywatcher does not retail in the USA) quite well (at the time of typing).
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

neytirilover wrote: ... and I know you're organizing roadside session in the east, I think I'll be there next time:)
Sidewalk you meant, roadside sounds a bit unglam and dangerous. :)

Our sessions are more in the Central area (Toa Payoh, Bishan, Ang Mo Kio). For the east, you can join Weixing's Tampines sessions.

All the best for your Hawaii stargazing trip. Even a pair of portable binoculars will reveal amazing stuff in the skies there! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
neytirilover

Post by neytirilover »

cloud_cover wrote:If you're thinking of buying a reflector in Hawaii, then you might want to get a Dobsonian because you don't have to worry about a separate mount. Also, with the marvelous skies at Maunea Kea, a largish reflector will certainly show a tremendous amount of stuff although I must caution that you'll want to use the telescope first for a bit to familiarize yourself with it
If you're shipping a reflector or bringing it home by air transport, you might want to unpack the mirror and put in a separate box, to prevent breakage.
There are, apparently, telescopes for free use at the Visitor's Information Station and a free "tour" from 6-10pm. You might want to consider that instead since the hassle of operating the telescope will be borne by trained operators plus you will have no shipping to do.
As an aside, buying a telescope, new or used in the USA is usually cheaper than doing so locally :) Skywatcher is an exception since the local dealer's price does match UK/Europe prices (Skywatcher does not retail in the USA) quite well (at the time of typing).
Wow, you are quite familiar with Mauna Kea Ob, I'm going to study in the University of Hawaii at Manoa, so I will go and see if I have the privilege of trying out their 2.2m scope UH88 or, even better, the famous 8-meter Subaru~~~lol~~

I think I may need to stay in Hawaii for at least three years, so plenty of time for me to accomplish this~~;P

However, I do think such kind of experiencing session cannot substitute the fun of exploring and operating a telescope myself.
neytirilover

Post by neytirilover »

Gary wrote:
neytirilover wrote: ... and I know you're organizing roadside session in the east, I think I'll be there next time:)
Sidewalk you meant, roadside sounds a bit unglam and dangerous. :)

Our sessions are more in the Central area (Toa Payoh, Bishan, Ang Mo Kio). For the east, you can join Weixing's Tampines sessions.

All the best for your Hawaii stargazing trip. Even a pair of portable binoculars will reveal amazing stuff in the skies there! :)
Yeah I meant sidewalk, got dizzy not being able to come up with the proper word```:)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hahaha! congrats on your overseas study... you'll be in excellent location.
Me thinks in that case don't buy a telescope locally - it doesn't make sense when US telescopes are much cheaper and their shipping is much less (not to mention no GST, although I'm not sure if Hawaii attracts state taxes)
If you have a vehicle or can observe from a backyard/roof/balcony then your best bet would be a medium sized Dobsonian (provided you have no aspirations to astrophotography, in which case a $200 budget gets you... nowhere) - manual for budget, goto if funds are available but above all try for used. They tend to be (generally but not entirely) in good condition and for the goto scopes, offer quite a good bargain. Best of all, if you don't want to ship back here, you probably can sell it off for not much loss. Think of it as a rental or usage fee :)
Do check out these very useful websites: www.cloudynights.com and www.astromart.com Cloudynights is a major astro forum and has a bustling classifieds. A-mart is the main astro classifieds service (for a fee). I bought my 14" from there :)
DON'T PANIC