Some Recommended Books

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
alanchua

Some Recommended Books

Post by alanchua »

Just want to share some interesting titles for Newbie like me apart from the famous Backyard Astronomer's Guide

1. Nature Guide Stars and Planets by Robert Dinwiddie and published by DK - This book start off with some brief explanation of the Universe, information on Celestial objects before going to the Monthly Sky Guide. Compact enough to bring along during Stargazing. Dun expect too much on higher magnitude stars.

2. Universe by Roger Freedman and Kaufmann. This is not really on practical Stargazing etc. It is more on a Academic approach to learn more on the Universe. Although it's meant for College, it a good read for anyone who want to know more.

I welcome anyone to add to the list for sharing.. :)

Alan
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Some Recommended Books

Post by antares2063 »

A Guide to Stars and Planets, Ian Ridpath & Wil Tirion ,

National library branches has quite a few copies , its a guide with constellation by constellation charts.

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

Turn left at orion looked useful until I realised southern hemi is only very lightly covered, they should not do that (focus on northern hemi - very bad!!)
Gary

Post by Gary »

zymon wrote:Turn left at orion looked useful until I realised southern hemi is only very lightly covered, they should not do that (focus on northern hemi - very bad!!)
Better than having no books of such format and large presentation for both hemisphere. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

If the library have this then a few photocopies will make it an interesting option.
alanchua

Post by alanchua »

I got also the Nightwatch by one of the author from the Backyard Astronomer Guide. Quite a good read also. I am wandering if we can use the Northern Hemisphere Sky Chart Planisphere on the Sky and Telescope magazine or any others that are on the Internet rather than specifically a Equator one ? If yes, do we need to convert the time to Singapore equivalent ?
alanchua

Post by alanchua »

Forget about the Time conversion, that a dumb question from me. Time should not be converted. But still, I am wandering if a Northern Hemisphere can be used in SG? :)
alanchua wrote:I got also the Nightwatch by one of the author from the Backyard Astronomer Guide. Quite a good read also. I am wandering if we can use the Northern Hemisphere Sky Chart Planisphere on the Sky and Telescope magazine or any others that are on the Internet rather than specifically a Equator one ? If yes, do we need to convert the time to Singapore equivalent ?
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

u will find the planisphere not as accurate. things near their horizon is below ours towards the north. other stars positions are not at thevplace as on the planisphere since we are about 40° diff.
Born to be Free