Lovely clear Tuesday night

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Lovely clear Tuesday night

Post by zymon »

Great clear night tonight!!

Saw all sorts of those faint constellations I never see, indian, altar, southern crown etc. Plus lots of clusters but damned nebular,,,,,,,,,,
I cant seem to get my new filters to fit onto the baader eyepiece. Does only one side screw onto the bottom of the eyepiece and the other side sits in the diagonal. (Baader Hypaerion EP and Baader 2" filters).

Cheers
Gary

Re: Lovely clear Tuesday night

Post by Gary »

zymon wrote:Great clear night tonight!!

Saw all sorts of those faint constellations I never see, indian, altar, southern crown etc. Plus lots of clusters but damned nebular,,,,,,,,,,
I cant seem to get my new filters to fit onto the baader eyepiece. Does only one side screw onto the bottom of the eyepiece and the other side sits in the diagonal. (Baader Hypaerion EP and Baader 2" filters).

Cheers
Congrats on enjoying some quality stargazing time!

I guess you meant Southern Cross (Crux), Altair (in Aquila constellation). Can't figure out what's Indian.

What telescope you were using? What filters you were using and the purpose is to see what kind of object through them?
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

I think he meant the constellation Indus , Ara and Corona Australis . All in the south , I'm guessing he obbed from his window on his residence

Zymon: if possible post some pics? And yes...a filter screws in at the shiny chrome rear end of a eyepiece , the entire thing slots into the diagonal
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

hang on a minute!
Are your filters 1.25" or 2"?
Are your eyepieces 1.25" or 2"?
Is your diagonal a 1.25" or 2"? (you get the drift :) )
The filter and eyepiece or diagonal size has to be the same in order for you to screw it in i.e. a 1.25" filter will not fit a 2" eyepiece and vice versa.
For me my filters are all 2" so I'll usually screw them into the base of my 2" EPs or into the front of the diagonal if its a 1.25" eyepiece.
Hope it helps! :)

P.S. Nonetheless nebulas are difficult to see in Singapore, even with filters. You can try for M8, maybe the Ring or Dumbbell but that's about it. If you're using a nebula filter, try to keep your exit pupil above 2mm at least so it doesn't dim the view too much. Unfortunately that means the Ring will look pretty much like a slightly blobby star in any 5" and below.
DON'T PANIC
zymon
Favourite scope: NA

Post by zymon »

Antares - you are correct.

I have 2" everything.

Hope the weekend is clear, then might venture outside my condo.