Newbie @ Bedok Reservoir

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Re: Newbie @ Bedok Reservoir

Post by Great Red Spot »

Congrats, wind. Just use solar system alignment. It is easier and I find it sufficient. Just locate the moon or Jupiter and you are set to go!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Congrats wind, will try let you know if any Observing session going on in the east area. Do try out your scope on moon and the 3 planets this time of year !
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
wind
Favourite scope: Nil

Post by wind »

Thanks GRS and Junwei. Was a tat cloudy last night so only managed to bring it downstairs for a quick try. Didnt managed to get the skyalign to work yet (will try the solar system alignment tonight) and having some alignment issue with the finderscope (only managed to get the red dot a distance above the center in the eye piece despite trying to adjust the knobs.. might have screwed it too much). Still managed to get a great view of the full moon and Jupiter with its moons (my kids were amazed). Will try to see if I can find Saturn and Mars in a less obstructed viewing area. Still waiting for my Samsung T Ring to become available so pictures with my iphone wasnt that great .. much to learn still from you guys. Cheers
Gary

Post by Gary »

wind wrote:Thanks GRS and all! Finally got my 6SE last night along with a Barlow and 17mm .. yet to try out the Sky Align thingy but looking forward to the next OBS / learning session in the vicinity! Cheers!
Congrats on your purchase! Keep observing with it as frequently as you can. Sooner or later you will encounter very clear skies and see the full potential of your 6" SCT! In case you are running out of accessories to do research on, try "binoviewer". :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Hi wind....congrats on your buying and i met you at sci ctr last sat....
thomas
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

wind wrote:Thanks GRS and Junwei. Was a tat cloudy last night so only managed to bring it downstairs for a quick try. Didnt managed to get the skyalign to work yet (will try the solar system alignment tonight) and having some alignment issue with the finderscope (only managed to get the red dot a distance above the center in the eye piece despite trying to adjust the knobs.. might have screwed it too much). Still managed to get a great view of the full moon and Jupiter with its moons (my kids were amazed). Will try to see if I can find Saturn and Mars in a less obstructed viewing area. Still waiting for my Samsung T Ring to become available so pictures with my iphone wasnt that great .. much to learn still from you guys. Cheers
My finder doesn't align properly too. You can try sliding the finder either more towards the front or towards the back of the shoe and then try to align. Actually agak agak can d.
wind
Favourite scope: Nil

Post by wind »

Managed to sort out the finder's alignment issue by removing it off the scope, aligning and then re-attaching it back on again .. hope it stays that way.

Nice meeting you Thomas and your adorable daughter! And thanks for sharing your experiences with the various scopes. Look forward to seeing you again.