Binoculars or Telescope?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
csohkk

Binoculars or Telescope?

Post by csohkk »

Hi All,
I have been interested to watch the stars for the longest time with my kids but haven't really gotten down to buy the hardware to do so. I am a total noob in astronomy and have just started reading about different scopes just days ago. After some reading, i concluded that a good pair of binoculars may be the way to go for me.
Thought it would be good to seek your expert opinion before committing.
The criteria I am looking at includes
1) compact and portable ( I don't drive)
2) durable
3) budget: up to $600
4) doesn't take up to much storage or standing space

Thanks in advance!
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Re: Binoculars or Telescope?

Post by bornfree »

Hello there! glad you are interested! yes! a good bino is really a good way to start this hobby! before jumping into any purchase, how about joining some of our sidewalk, look through some telescopes, talk to their owners. most of us have a decent bino you can borrow and have a look and decide what kind of bino you like or even a small scope.

there is an one session in Bedok Reservoir on the 27/03/2014
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12766

every month, Gary will be holding a talk in Toa Payoh Library and after the talk, some of us will setup scopes for the public to do some moon/planets or stars gazing session.
Born to be Free
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello! How old are the kids?
Binos are a great way to start and in fact my starter pair of 10x50s are still well used but one issue is keeping the target in the view: if your kids are too young to find the target themselves, then it's challenging to keep the binos pointed in the right place without a tripod adapter :)
600 can get you a very decent scope especially without fancy electronics, but do try out first before buying as there are many practical factors beyond just the raw paper specifications. :)
DON'T PANIC
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi,

I have a beginner scope, known as astroscan2000. It is basically a ball shaped Newtonian on a table top dobsonian style mount. It is very compact, rugged, offer good low magnification view of moon, planets and star cluster. It had some mild dew on it, but the view through it is still decent. willing to sell it at 400sgd or lower as I am not using it any more. Please PM me if you are keen.
Gary

Post by Gary »

csohkk wrote:Hi All,
I have been interested to watch the stars for the longest time with my kids but haven't really gotten down to buy the hardware to do so. I am a total noob in astronomy and have just started reading about different scopes just days ago. After some reading, i concluded that a good pair of binoculars may be the way to go for me.
Thought it would be good to seek your expert opinion before committing.
The criteria I am looking at includes
1) compact and portable ( I don't drive)
2) durable
3) budget: up to $600
4) doesn't take up to much storage or standing space

Thanks in advance!
Hi csohkk. Welcome to the hobby and forum! Watching stars with family members is something that is truly amazing. I have absolute no doubt about that. Quality family bonding experiences like this transcend stargazing alone with biggest telescope under the clearest sky in the world!

If you have "concluded" on getting a binocular, your title should reflect that by not mentioning "or telescope." Else, you may attract opinions about what telescopes you should be getting instead.

For binoculars, $600 is a very healthy budget. You will have the luxury of choosing from the best binocular within that range. But before you do, try to attend some public stargazing sessions with binoculars deployed to get some hands-on experience (especially the weight/bulk vs stability of handheld observing). Highly recommend reading this book which is available in some public libraries for loan - Stargazing with Binoculars: http://catalogue.nlb.gov.sg/cgi-bin/spy ... binoculars

If you enjoy using binoculars for daytime activities (e.g. nature watch), that is one reason to get a binocular first.

If you find out later you truly enjoy stargazing and would to spend more time on it, it is still not too late to get a telescope then. Buying a telescope then does not render your binocular useless. They complement each other. One of my common advise to beginners is not to worry about buying binocular or telescope first. Because if you truly embrace and fall in love with the hobby, you will have at least 1 binocular and 2 telescopes sooner or later. :)

Do bring your family along to our stargazing sessions. Hope to see you guys soon!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
csohkk

Post by csohkk »

Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome and great advise. I actually have not decided on a telescope or binoculars yet but am leaning towards a binoculars. Was looking through the specifications and they are indeed very overwhelming for a newbie.

Born free, I would opt for going to the TPY talk by Gary first to find out more. Any specific day or time?

Cloud_ cover, my kids are 8 and 5 years old. I would probably be looking at a mount adapter as well.

Fizzy 123, thanks for the offer. will let you know.
csohkk

Post by csohkk »

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the advise. You brought up a point that i didnt mention. I do enjoy nature watching as well. That is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards a binoculars.
Besides that , I'm a light prepper. Long distance visibility whether in night or day conditions will definitely be an added bonus.
Gary

Post by Gary »

csohkk wrote:Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome and great advise. I actually have not decided on a telescope or binoculars yet but am leaning towards a binoculars. Was looking through the specifications and they are indeed very overwhelming for a newbie.

Born free, I would opt for going to the TPY talk by Gary first to find out more. Any specific day or time?

Cloud_ cover, my kids are 8 and 5 years old. I would probably be looking at a mount adapter as well.

Fizzy 123, thanks for the offer. will let you know.
Toa Payoh Public Library talks are on first Saturday of every month. Next one is on 5 April titled "Magnificent Mars". 7:30pm - 8:30pm. Weather permitting, live stargazing during/after talk.

In the meantime, you may borrow these 2 books from the library and read them:

- Backyard Astronomer's Guide
- Star Ware

There are a few stargazing activities this coming Saturday for Earth Hour. You may want to join in the fun and look through telescopes. See the Events and Observation forum for more details.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
csohkk

Post by csohkk »

Ok. Thanks for the info Gary.