First scope for a newbie. Is this a good start?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
uracil

First scope for a newbie. Is this a good start?

Post by uracil »

Hi everyone, newbie here!

About me: I've learnt to identity most objects in the sky since young, and now I'm ready to move from the theory to the practical :D
At this moment I'm most interested in viewing objects such as the Messier objects, like the Pleiades and Andromeda and stuff, and possibly photographing them. I think these are considered deep-space objects, and I'm not entirely sure which are the telescopes best suited for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045 ... dp_product

This Celestron Astromaster 130EQ caught my eye while browsing around (partially because i'm based in europe right now, so shipping cost is ideal). From what I read, greater aperture is what I need for my purpose, so is this a good place to start?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated! Many thanks!
Gary

Re: First scope for a newbie. Is this a good start?

Post by Gary »

uracil wrote:Hi everyone, newbie here!

About me: I've learnt to identity most objects in the sky since young, and now I'm ready to move from the theory to the practical :D
At this moment I'm most interested in viewing objects such as the Messier objects, like the Pleiades and Andromeda and stuff, and possibly photographing them. I think these are considered deep-space objects, and I'm not entirely sure which are the telescopes best suited for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045 ... dp_product

This Celestron Astromaster 130EQ caught my eye while browsing around (partially because i'm based in europe right now, so shipping cost is ideal). From what I read, greater aperture is what I need for my purpose, so is this a good place to start?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated! Many thanks!
Hi uracil. Welcome to the forum!

Before buying a telescope, highly recommend you attend a few public stargazing events if you have not done so by now. Join a local astronomy club in Europe is another good way to find out more information about telescopes. You can get to get some hands-on with the club's telescopes before buying one of your own.

Good luck and have fun with your first telescope!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi uracil,

No scope fits all requirements , but if you are starting out as visual and want to get the most aperture scope vs spending ratio, a newtonian or dobsonian is always a good starting choice.

Off topic :
Europe must have some pretty good places to stargaze from?

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Better to ask this forum for your location...
http://stargazerslounge.com/
AndreaT

Post by AndreaT »

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to astronomy. I've done some stargazing before with some of my friends and now I'm ready to get my first scope. I am also considering the Astromaster EQ. However, I was told that the powerseeker AZ is also a good starter scope. But I probably have to get the lens kit as well. I'm not too sure which ones are good and I have been asking around. Still, more suggestions from fellow astro lovers would be great!
Thank you!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello! Are you located in Singapore or in another country? That does make a difference between price, availability and light pollution.
Also, what's your budget and do you know what you're enjoy seeing? :)
DON'T PANIC
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

AndreaT wrote:Hello all. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to astronomy. I've done some stargazing before with some of my friends and now I'm ready to get my first scope. I am also considering the Astromaster EQ. However, I was told that the powerseeker AZ is also a good starter scope. But I probably have to get the lens kit as well. I'm not too sure which ones are good and I have been asking around. Still, more suggestions from fellow astro lovers would be great!
Thank you!
Hi Andrea
Welcome to Singastro! Why not drop by the astro shop Astroscientific at the Science Centre ? They have a wide range of telescopes on display. You can enquire but don't need to buy it first. Just drop by any of the obs conducted here such as Gary's CSN (Clear Sky Netwok) team at Toa Payoh. Once you have a better feel, you can make a decision on a purchase. My take is if you can, buy the biggest aperture (up to 6" for beginner0 you can afford as aperture is important. I limited to 6" for portability. If you drive, then 8" is the minimum you want to get. But if you are mainly interested in moon, planets and brighter DSOs, then 4" is sufficient until you are ready to upgrade. :)
BTW, you can check out our vendors section too.
Regards
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
AndreaT

Post by AndreaT »

Hello!
Thanks for the suggestion. :)
I did drop by the shop at Science Centre and they provided me with the two options that I mentioned above. Haha.
I was wondering when the next obs will be conducted? Unfortunately I am living overseas now and I am back in Singapore currently until the 23rd.
Will I have time to make it for any sessions?
Gary

Post by Gary »

AndreaT wrote:Hello all. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to astronomy. I've done some stargazing before with some of my friends and now I'm ready to get my first scope. I am also considering the Astromaster EQ. However, I was told that the powerseeker AZ is also a good starter scope. But I probably have to get the lens kit as well. I'm not too sure which ones are good and I have been asking around. Still, more suggestions from fellow astro lovers would be great!
Thank you!
Hi Andrea. Welcome to the forum!

In addition to the FAQ/beginner articles in this forum, you may find my blog about buying telescope useful: http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

In addition to sidewalk astronomy sessions, you may also consider participating in the regular stargazing session at Science Centre (Fri) and Woodlands Galaxy Community Club (Fri/Sat).

During your stargazing with you friends, think about design and size of telescope have you come across so far and objects have been seen through them. Then find out more about other designs/sizes so that you can expose yourself to wider selection for initial research BEFORE you start narrowing down to what is a good beginner telescope *for you*.

Good luck and have fun owning and using your very first telescope in the near future!

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

AndreaT wrote:Hello!
Thanks for the suggestion. :)
I did drop by the shop at Science Centre and they provided me with the two options that I mentioned above. Haha.
I was wondering when the next obs will be conducted? Unfortunately I am living overseas now and I am back in Singapore currently until the 23rd.
Will I have time to make it for any sessions?
Hi Andrea. Just saw your above reply shortly after I posted my first reply.

If you are living and using the telescope overseas, you may consider hooking up with the nearest local astronomy club and/or astronomy forum in that country. Also do consider the used telescope market in that country (if any). It may be cheaper doing that than buying a brand new telescope here and bringing it back to that country.

-- John Dobson.