Comments on Takahashi scope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
dysam

Comments on Takahashi scope

Post by dysam »

So I was thinking of upgrading and am wondering if a takahashi fs-6oq would be a decent upgrade from my 80mm ed refractor now. I do mostly visual, and by the way if I were to get it how do I attach it to a vixen style saddle. Thanks.

Dysam
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Comments on takahashi scope

Post by cloud_cover »

In short, no, unless you are trying to downsize your setup.
Yes, it has the legendary takahashi optics but it is significantly smaller than an 80mm, allowing only more than half the light throughput of an 80mm (very significant) and its resolving power will be accordingly less as well, not that a 2"+ scope is used for high powers.
For a significant upgrade to your 80mm, I'd suggest at least a 4" refractor or perhaps a bigger reflector, for visual purposes, unless you have a need to downsize.
However, for AP the FS60Q is an elegantly designed small AP scope. Do note that for AP we usually talk about f ratio and focal length while for visual aperture truly wins (given decent optical quality)
DON'T PANIC
dysam

Post by dysam »

Thanks for your prompt response, what about the Astro Tech 90edt will there be an improvement from the 80mm doublet? Thanks.

Dysam
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

What are you hoping to achieve, as in what improvements are you hoping to obtain, how are you going to mount it and how much is your budget? :)
A good 4" APO will be a definite improvement from the 80ED. The 90 - depends on the quality of your 80ED. It increases the light gathering by about 25%. Noticable but barely.
So importantly, what are you hoping your new scope will do that your old scope cannot? If you're looking to upgrade, then its important to have an idea of what you achieve rather than try to find a scope to fit your objectives, unless you are just looking for a new toy:) (which we are all guilty of occasionally! that explains why I have 2 80mm Achromats...)
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Re: Comments on Takahashi scope

Post by orly_andico »

I used to have an Orion 100ED which is very similar to the 80ED. I now have the AstroTech 90EDT, so I feel qualified to comment on this.

1) The AT90EDT produces tighter, whiter stars. In other words, it has better color correction.

2) it has a much, much better focuser than the - frankly - crap focuser on the 80ED/100ED. The focuser is not Feathertouch grade, but it's pretty good. I have an FT focuser on my other scope, and I don't feel the need to upgrade the AT90EDT to a FT (note that an FT focuser costs almost as much as an entire Orion 80ED - the Orion 80ED is $499 and the FT focuser is $390).

I did upgrade the stock focuser on my Orion 100ED to a Long Perng (William Optics) focuser because the stock focuser is so bad. The WO focuser was better but still not as good as the AT90EDT focuser. I would get focuser droop with the WO focuser, while the AT90EDT does not droop. Neither does the FT.

The big difference between the FT focuser and the AT90EDT stock focuser is that the FT is much, much finer, much nicer to look at, and has minimal image shift when you reverse directions when focusing.

3) the AT90EDT has a much nicer, automotive-type paint job compared to the Orion 80ED/100ED. The paint on my 100ED scratched due to some tube ring accident, and it's bare metal underneath.

4) the AT90EDT is much better mechanically than the Orion 100ED. It is also about double the weight.

I am pretty happy with my AT90EDT, it's a great fairly-priced imaging scope. But for visual I don't see its features as a great improvement over your 80ED. The features are really more for imaging.