Help getting a Starter Scope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Re: Help getting a Starter Scope

Post by Sivakis »

Clifford60 wrote:
Sivakis wrote:Clifford, you're referring to the Orion Starmax Mak 90mm?
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Cas ... 102016.uts

Wondering if the pictures with the shipping box would give an indication of the estimated box size..
Est. diameter: 10cm
Est. OTA length: 28cm

Seems to be a box size of 20x20x56?
Hi Sivakis, yes this is the same scope posted by Orly. It indicated that the shipping weight is 10.5lb or slightly less than 4.8kg. The scope OTA itself is less than 1.7kg if plus the mount, it is 2.8kg. However, I can't find the size of the box.

Typically in shipment, it doesn't use the actual package weight, instead it uses volumetric weight which is LxWxH in cm /6000 (std calculation), however, DHL divide by 5k instead of 6k.
Yeah. That's why I referred to the pictures in the link I gave earlier. 2 of them showed the scope with the shipping box. Seems to be twice the ota diameter on both sides and twice the ota length on height. Or maybe parallax error.

:-)
Jeannie
Favourite scope: no scope yet

Post by Jeannie »

okie Thanks for all the recommendation!! I did not know there was page 3 of replies, I kept reading the last reply on page 1 last night.
amazon did not deliver for the Orion 10022 StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope or Orion 9947 ShortTube 80-A Refractor Telescope-->
"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order. "
Face palm.
I think they have stopped shipping to Singapore altogether.
I read a lot more about the Skywatcher Heritage 130p, they don't seem to give online manual how to collimate. I was reading the other manuals for the collimating. I think I have to maybe go for the first sat of the month session.... Is it onz? if not it is okay.
I read the other thread on Skywatcher 130p, this guy have to make a shroud because the stray light may come in. But I admit I was taken by that picture of the moon.
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Jeannie wrote:okie Thanks for all the recommendation!! I did not know there was page 3 of replies, I kept reading the last reply on page 1 last night.
amazon did not deliver for the Orion 10022 StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope or Orion 9947 ShortTube 80-A Refractor Telescope-->
"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order. "
Face palm.
I think they have stopped shipping to Singapore altogether.
I read a lot more about the Skywatcher Heritage 130p, they don't seem to give online manual how to collimate. I was reading the other manuals for the collimating. I think I have to maybe go for the first sat of the month session.... Is it onz? if not it is okay.
I read the other thread on Skywatcher 130p, this guy have to make a shroud because the stray light may come in. But I admit I was taken by that picture of the moon.
I believe Gary mentioned that the session at Toa Payoh should be on this Saturday, 7 June. Of course, weather conditions may cause last minute changes, of which he'd keep us informed.

Yeah, that would probably be the best opportunity to clarify on things now that you know more and perhaps, because of knowing more, have more questions :mryellow:
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

collimation is not as difficult as it sounds. best done with a Cheshire, than only with a laser collimator. going to youtube to search for newtonian collimation will give u a very good idea on what needs to be done for collimating and there is a guy who will prove to you why not to go with a laser collimator. best if the cheshire comes with a crosshair. and is a long tube.

the summarised steps are as below:

1) make sure secondary is directly in the centre of the sight tube. this can be done adjusting the cheshire at a height and using the focuser move the cheshire up and down and looking into the peep hole, make sure the round edge at the bottom of the cheshire will meet the round of the secondary.. *do not let the cheshire touch the secondary mirror. you do not want the secondary mirror to be scratched* it should not be touching anyway. this is done usually by rotating the secondary mirror to achieve the proper tilt and the centre screw of the secondary mirror to adjust the depth.

2) make sure the crosshair is aligned to white donut from the peep hole. this is usually done by tweaking the collimation screws of the secondary mirror.

3) make sure the silver reflective donut and the white donut are centered on each other. this is usually done by tweaking the collimationn screws of the primary mirror

4) the black colour hole is visible in both donuts when they are aligned. repeat the above steps as necessary to ensure they are all aligned with each other

overall, the crosshair, silver and white donuts should be aligned of each other. this will show that the scope is properly collimated. simple but you may find yourself repeating the steps afew times before all are properly collimated. if you are doing visual, a slight off in collimation may still be acceptable (for me), but for APers, they will need to strive for perfection.
Born to be Free
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Jeannie. This Sat's talk is definitely onz. We have not cancelled or postponed a single library talk since it started in 2012 (fingers crossed). Since the talk is indoor in the library, it will be on even if it's raining (fully sheltered walkways from TPY MRT to library). But the live stargazing during/after the talk outside the library is weather dependent of course.

The forum member who shared the info about his Skywatcher 130p may attend. So you may ask him directly about collimating the 130p. :)

As bornfree mentioned, collimation is not as difficult as it seems. There are a few youtube tutorials on this. This is one of them:

http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Laser collimator definitely. Just make sure the collimator is collimated! (cheap ones generally require adjustment)

But then the Heritage 130P is an f/5 or so. Collimation is not critical at all. And the $50 rental try-before-you-buy can't be beat.

Of course you can always go to a stargazing session and try out the different scopes to get a feel of them.
Jeannie
Favourite scope: no scope yet

Post by Jeannie »

Hi everyone thank to all the advises; all advise was helpful. I got my scope. after the tpy public viewing I realized u guys have giant scopes. Anyways after I went back home and settled my son. I went up to the empty carpatk highest floor. It is so bright but definitely better view than viewing from my window. I do think the heritage 130 need a cover, keep see orange light, I have to find a spot where the carpatk light is spoilt. lol I do think using bino is so much easier, but telescope is really nice to see. Really happy with this telescope, I think I got tired I thought I saw 1 star but keep seeing 2 in the scope, unless I saw a binary? Anyway I was too tired and sweaty. I like the way this scope is built s just put down and view no need setup.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Jeannie,

Congratulations! A proud owner of a new telescope.

Warning! You had been poisoned. :lol:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Jeannie wrote:Hi everyone thank to all the advises; all advise was helpful. I got my scope. after the tpy public viewing I realized u guys have giant scopes. Anyways after I went back home and settled my son. I went up to the empty carpatk highest floor. It is so bright but definitely better view than viewing from my window. I do think the heritage 130 need a cover, keep see orange light, I have to find a spot where the carpatk light is spoilt. lol I do think using bino is so much easier, but telescope is really nice to see. Really happy with this telescope, I think I got tired I thought I saw 1 star but keep seeing 2 in the scope, unless I saw a binary? Anyway I was too tired and sweaty. I like the way this scope is built s just put down and view no need setup.
Hi Jeannie. Nice meeting you last night and congrats on your first telescope! You will never look at a carpark the same way again. :) Don't worry too much about getting to the darkest site. Make good use of whatever views you have inside your house or somewhere nearby. Observe Moon, planets and bright objects and get familiar with using your telescope.

Hope you met depardeuz last night who was manning the refractor on a tracking mount. Pick his brains for ideas to improve your telescope's performance.

Btw, James was not there last night so you haven't really see any giant scopes yet. Come visit us again on 5 July. :)
Last edited by Gary on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

Congrats Jeannie. I do have to say. your eyes are a pair of 1x7 binoculars.. meaning they see 1x magnification from a 7mm opening. which will reduce with age, sadly.. however your scope is has a 130mm opening which gathers like 18.5 times more light than your eyes. you can see more than 1 stars. sometimes pointing at what is seemingly empty space in signapore conditions can allow you to see a handful of stars. if you went to Gary's talk, you should have received a star chart and a guide on how to use it. maybe that can be a good guide to help you navigate the night skies abit.

clear skies ~ and enjoy!
Born to be Free