Buy telescope for beginner

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
govanfcs
Favourite scope: NA

Buy telescope for beginner

Post by govanfcs »

Hi Guys, I'm tottaly new for astronomy. Recently i studied a article said that we always see oneside of the moon and it make me very excited that leads me to surf about our galaxy and finally leads me here to find out a good telescope. I have decide to buy a medium telescope. Could you please gus help and advice on telescope buy? Thanks

Elango...
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Buy telescope for beginner

Post by Hardwarezone »

1) around how much do you intend to spend ?

2) do you like solar system objects or other further away objects ?

3) where do you intend to observe - window , near your home or further away ?

4) will you pay more for convenience or rather DIY ?
govanfcs
Favourite scope: NA

Post by govanfcs »

Hardwarezone wrote:1) around how much do you intend to spend ?

2) do you like solar system objects or other further away objects ?

3) where do you intend to observe - window , near your home or further away ?

4) will you pay more for convenience or rather DIY ?

Hi, thanks for your reply. My budget around $500~600 and and still advisable as i want do it as one time investment. I want look around our solar sytem, milky way and intend joint with interest group star-gazing session near by yishun.

Best regards,
Elango
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Elango. Welcome to the forum.

Regarding doing it as "a one-time investment", the last time someone ask me the same thing after a long phone conversation about buying his first telescope, he is now looking for another lighter grab-and-go scope in addition to the desire to purchase premium binoculars and eyepieces. :)

If it's really for a one-time investment, I suspect the budget is most probably closer to thousands of dollars and after doing quality research. Some hobbyist after spending the initial thousands on astro gear still continues to buy and sell gear over the years.

So instead of thinking of in terms of buying a very future proof first telescope, try to manage your expectation, motivation to stargaze regularly and maximise the potential of your first telescope (e.g. by using it more often and thus observing more things compared to a big bulky telescope which may be more future proof aperture wise).

Your honest answers to the questions Hardwarezone asked will be useful in your research.

For $500 - $600 budget, you may get a decent 3" used achromatic refractor or 3.5" used maksutov + basic tripod/mount system. Or a table-top dobsonian telescope which doesn't need a tripod/mount (which may a disadvantage to some users). And with perhaps still end up with a little change left to buy some basic/better accessories.

Base on your first 2 posts alone, I assume you have not attend much star parties so far. So instead of buying a telescope and attend one, try the other round. I think that will be more useful in finding out what you want and then evaluate if there's a need to change the budget and/or do more further research.

Good luck!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
munjalv

Post by munjalv »

Gary wrote:Hi Elango. Welcome to the forum.

Regarding doing it as "a one-time investment", the last time someone ask me the same thing after a long phone conversation about buying his first telescope, he is now looking for another lighter grab-and-go scope in addition to the desire to purchase premium binoculars and eyepieces. :)

If it's really for a one-time investment, I suspect the budget is most probably closer to thousands of dollars and after doing quality research. Some hobbyist after spending the initial thousands on astro gear still continues to buy and sell gear over the years.

So instead of thinking of in terms of buying a very future proof first telescope, try to manage your expectation, motivation to stargaze regularly and maximise the potential of your first telescope (e.g. by using it more often and thus observing more things compared to a big bulky telescope which may be more future proof aperture wise).

Your honest answers to the questions Hardwarezone asked will be useful in your research.

For $500 - $600 budget, you may get a decent 3" used achromatic refractor or 3.5" used maksutov + basic tripod/mount system. Or a table-top dobsonian telescope which doesn't need a tripod/mount (which may a disadvantage to some users). And with perhaps still end up with a little change left to buy some basic/better accessories.

Base on your first 2 posts alone, I assume you have not attend much star parties so far. So instead of buying a telescope and attend one, try the other round. I think that will be more useful in finding out what you want and then evaluate if there's a need to change the budget and/or do more further research.

Good luck!

Excellent Reply Gary! I completely agree (even though honestly I do not own any Telescope at this point in time) that buying telescope cannot be a one-time investment. Depending on what you want to observe you should pick and choose the equipment and keep upgrading.

Regards,
Munjal
Regards,
Munjal