Telescope for deep sky photography

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Golucky

Re: Telescope for deep sky photography

Post by Golucky »

Sivakis wrote:AP can definitely be done with just an EOS and lens, especially when starting out.

The 60D is a good camera but do bear in mind of the weight of the camera. Initially this won't be an issue if you're just using cam+lens on a static tripod. But when you start mounting it on a telescope, the weight of the 60D starts to be a consideration, especially if the telescope is light. Which is also why many DSLR APers still go with the Rebel (XXXD or even 1000D/1100D) route. That doesn't mean the 60D can't do it cos it definitely can.

For the Milky Way, you'll want a wide lens. For starters, your DSLR may come with a basic kit-lens of either 18-55, 18-135 or 18-200 or any variant. That's a good place to start. Here are some of my starting settings when I first tried it out:
1. Set camera to Manual (M mode)
2. Shutter depends on focal length (I use the formula 400/focal length to determine)
3. Set aperture to around 800 or 1600 for starters
4. Use the remote timer (2 secs) or a remote shutter release if you have
4a. Alternatively, hook up your dslr to your laptop/pc and use EOS Utility to fire the camera
5. Turn the focus to infinity or near infinity to roughly get focus.
5a. Use the Live View function and Zoom in (5x or 10x) to finetune the focus
6. Fire away!

For the above, polar alignment isn't important, since the tripod is static and the shutter speed is calculated to minimise any star-trails from appearing.

I use Stellarium, a free program to get an idea of the stars that are on display. You can also search and read up on stacking software available. Most AP photos are a result of multiple shots stacked and combined together to capture and enhance the light photons captured per shot. I'm currently using DeepSkyStacker - which, in itself, is another journey in using and learning.

Once you move to longer exposure AP, then polar alignment becomes critical since you want to move beyond the shutter limitations in Step 2 above. Minimising vibrations and movement errors also become another consideration.

I definitely agree on the stability of the mount as most important when moving to the next stage. Some will say that a CG-5 GEM is the minimum but it also depends on the size and weight of the telescope. E.g. I'm using a CG-4 GEM but because my telescope is an Astrotech AT66ED which weighs only 1.8kg, it's sturdy enough for me. Mounts are expensive in SG (or at least, to me) but even then, when I shipped my CG4 from overseas, the shipping almost killed me! So you have been warned.

AP is a long dark road that's daunting and challenging. I'm still a beginner in every sense and learning as I go along but once you get a taste of what you can do...... then that's it. Hook, line and sinker!

Good luck and have fun in your journey!

EDIT: You don't necessarily need any filters to start on AP. Also note that if you buy a clip-on filter and put it into your DSLR, you cannot attached EF-S lenses to it. This is important unless you are only using EF lenses. (Just in case you're not aware, the 60D is an EF-S camera). Filters are there to reduce light pollution, enhance colours etc but does not mean you can't capture nice pics without it. Try it out first, especially if you already have a camera system. If you don't like it, it wouldn't have cost you anything! :)
thanks for all the advise. I reviewed what i really wanted, and think i shall start on basic DSLR+Tripod to capture static star+landmarks shots first. If my interest grow, i will venture into the mounts and then lastly comes the telescope. So.... start from step one and grab my DRLS and wait for some clear skies. :)

For my reference, may i ask where did you get your mount and scope?
Golucky

Post by Golucky »

orly_andico wrote:.. and regarding shipping mounts, this is why I love the Star Adventurer!

because you can buy it in Malaysia. http://www.perseid.com.my/star-adventurer-mount.html

Although, they are in Penang. Maybe you got relatives there. Or, go have a short vacation there. It's a long bus ride though (or a short plane ride).

If you go to one of the resorts in Penang, it is also dark and you can use your mount right away (don't forget to bring a tripod with 3/8" tripod screw). The Star Adventurer uses 4x AA batteries, even alkalines work fine.

The Star Adventurer has a bigger worm wheel than the CG4 or Vixen Polaris. And mine is measured at 30" periodic error. Not amazing (my other mount is... 2.8" periodic error) but for something so portable and (relatively) inexpensive, it's fantastic.
thanks for the link! without your recommendation, all the mounts and scopes look the same to me. I am going to stall my investment for a while and start with my DSLR.

But i am still searching for the possible tools to enhance the experience, and get them when required. May i ask, where did you get your Light pollution filters from? I am looking for the CLS type. Reason is i would like to have the flexibility to mount different lens for different shooting needs. A screw filter will not allow me to utilise a fish-eye lens or my samyang 14mm.The filters are very pricy and i hope to get one that can be used in most situation.

I was looking at the Astronomik, OPTcorp.com and modern astronomy.com. None states the shipping cost and i hate surprises. might sharing your awareness of the costs as a reference?
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Golucky wrote:
thanks for all the advise. I reviewed what i really wanted, and think i shall start on basic DSLR+Tripod to capture static star+landmarks shots first. If my interest grow, i will venture into the mounts and then lastly comes the telescope. So.... start from step one and grab my DRLS and wait for some clear skies. :)

For my reference, may i ask where did you get your mount and scope?
I actually got a good deal on Amazon and bought the CG4 for like 226usd, shipped it to Vpost in US and had them ship it to me. The shipping to Vpost US was free, but shipping to SG was like... sg200+. Still, all in all, it cost me ~ sg500 which is like 300+ cheaper than buying new here.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

1) you can get the filters from Peter Lee @ tan14.com (he is based in HK) he can also sell you an iOptron ZEQ25 if you like. Shipping is very reasonable because HK is not too far away.

2) Sivakis' recommended CG4 may be $500 SGD but I believe the motors are not included, you need to pay another $150 to $200 for those. That's why I am such a convert to the Star Adventurer...
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

orly_andico wrote:1) you can get the filters from Peter Lee @ tan14.com (he is based in HK) he can also sell you an iOptron ZEQ25 if you like. Shipping is very reasonable because HK is not too far away.

2) Sivakis' recommended CG4 may be $500 SGD but I believe the motors are not included, you need to pay another $150 to $200 for those. That's why I am such a convert to the Star Adventurer...
Orly is correct. This was without the motor, which I only got at another time. The motor cost me another us107 because I bought the dual axis motor. I could have gone with the Orion single-axis though since I only needed dec movement.
beginner

Post by beginner »

Golucky wrote:
...I am looking for the CLS type. Reason is i would like to have the flexibility to mount different lens for different shooting needs. A screw filter will not allow me to utilise a fish-eye lens or my samyang 14mm.The filters are very pricy and i hope to get one that can be used in most situation.
Golucky,

CLS also have screw threaded filter so I don't know what you mean by CLS type.
CLS refer to the light it block and not the type.

..and other than physical aspects 60D is not close to 60Da .
beginner

Post by beginner »

Golucky wrote:Hi, I am new to astrophotography. I like what I saw in the deep sky photos sharing on clubsnap and I wanted to give the niche area a try.

I seek your recommendations and viewpoint.

I like the deep sky pictures and the Milky Way. They are beautiful. I would like to take pictures of them and this means I need to put together a kit. In your opinion, is the Nexstar 6se and 8 SE a good system for beginner like me? I am getting a DSLR to be modified. So the cam is no issue. Now I need to check out the scope.

The other option is the Orion system. What's your take? Thanks in advance.
You sounded like the SingAstro night sky's photo didn't impress you.
Bro and sister of SingAstro 加油...加油... (add oil).