Polar Alignment for GEM

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
alexaung

Polar Alignment for GEM

Post by alexaung »

Hi All

I am new to astronomy, i been reading up a lot but just managed to purchased a telescope recently only.. I have a question regarding polar alignment. Since SG is on Equator and Latitude is close to 0 which is 1.3667, how can i do polar alignment. please kindly advise... i been trying to do research and the answers are not hitting the target or rather i am not smart enough to understand...

thank you all for your help.

Regards
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Polar Alignment for GEM

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello!
First off and very important: Is the mount you are using capable of adjusting down to 0 degrees of latitude? A lot of mounts are not able to do so as they were really designed for the American market (which is probably the world's biggest astronomy market) and no part of the USA approaches 0 degrees (only the "poor people" in central america)

Having said that, the next question is: Are you trying to do astrophotography or are you just trying to use the telescope visually?
Astrophotography requres very exact polar alignment and this is generally achieved only by drift alignment or some form of computerized program to calculate the offset.
For visual use, you only need to be roughly aligned as the human eye will easily correct for small movements of the target in the eyepiece. this is as simple as finding a landmark that is to your North using a compass and then pointing your mount to this landmark, and setting your latitude to just a hair above 0

Hope it helps! :)
DON'T PANIC
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

And if you're like me, trying to polar align in my flat, then be prepared that even if you can lower the latitude of the GEM down to 1 degree or thereabouts, it may not be accurate as the floor of the flat may not be 100% parallel to the ground. Some trial and error may be required (ie. drift alignment).

If you are trying out AP and don't have an illuminated eyepiece, you can try a rough alignment, then take about 3-4 shots at 3 to 5 seconds duration. Review them and see the star movement going through the shots. That will give you an indication of the drift and adjust the mount accordingly. Be patient cos this may take some time to get used to.
alexaung

Post by alexaung »

Thanks Cloud.. I am now only for visual use... i will try to follow your instruction...

Siva, Yes i am doing it in my flat... lol... i will try to do that way as well...

Thank you guys for your advise...