Dovetail bar, why do we need it?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
help12345

Dovetail bar, why do we need it?

Post by help12345 »

Hi! I'm new to this.. And I would just like to find out why we need to use a dovetail rail? Why can't we directly attach the telescope to the mount without the dovetail bar instead? Can anyone help?
beginner

Re: Dovetail bar, why do we need it?

Post by beginner »

Help12345,

What you mean by a dovetail rail?
Can you explain how you mount your telescope to the mount (what mount) without a dovetail bar?
help12345

Post by help12345 »

i mean dovetail bar not rail… hmmm.. I have no idea but I have seen some really cheap and lousy telescopes online which don't appear to use a dovetail bar. so i was just wondering if it is at all possible to attach the telescope on the mount without a dovetail bar.

http://davetrott.com/wp-content/uploads ... heapo1.jpg
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

those cheap telescopes are light. very light. even good camera mounts can hold them very steadily

dovetail is a very stable structure it prevents telescopes of weight in excess of 10kg to be slided onto the mount without falling out due to the wedge design. and it allows easy mounting sliding onto the mount.
Born to be Free
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Essentially dovetail bars are a universal means of convenient quick attach and release, with the ability to balance the scope. Without them, each telescope must be manufactured to fit a particular mount, which is much like saying each camera has its own specific model of tripod.
Yes you can attach your telescope to a mount without a dovetail but this will usually involve drilling a hole of the appropriate size in the tube of the telescope and bolting that directly to the bolt hole of the mount, which would make it difficult to disassemble and impossible to rebalance.
DON'T PANIC
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

The dovetail shape does have industrial usage, not just limited to astro purpose.