Brand new to hobby after many years of interest...

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Brand new to hobby after many years of interest...

Post by antares2063 »

try it on the moon 6-7 days after 24th sept...the moon will be at an ideal time in the west .

as for The event..maybe u should pm her and get her contact number? should haze return ..event may or may not be called off...
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ausrex wrote:Thank you all for the very encouraging notes. I'll definitely check out the star gazing events!

So I've purchased the 6SE and mucked around with it on cloudy, starless nights. Not seen anything yet haha.

Yes, I've marked down the 8 Oct lunar eclipse gazing by MystiQ @ Marina Barrage. Will you guys be there? And what happens? Do I just bring the scope and just approach anyone else with a scope and speak? Any secret handshake I need to know?

Thanks!
Congrats! I have an 6SE too but since I bought it, have not brought it out once yet..haha.
For any obs session, just go there, pick a spot you like and deploy! After that you can mingle around. Astronomers are a friendly bunch! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chianboon

Post by chianboon »

If you can find a relatively unobstructed higher ground near your place (I'm using a MCP near my home), it can be a good place to start observing.

Even with some haze, you should be able to see albireo, probably some open cluster in Scorpio and Sagittarius.

In my opinion, an accessible location that you can bring out your scope at a short notice and with ease really help in this hobby.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Welcome to SINGASTRO, Zak! See you in Mersing soon!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
ausrex

Post by ausrex »

It's been a great astro journey seeing new things, meeting new people and generally just moving along this late night hobby! I think I wasn't even so tired during my clubbing days!

Will be posting some photo attempts that I've had from Nov till now... Thanks to everyone who has been a friend!