Brand new to hobby after many years of interest...

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ausrex

Brand new to hobby after many years of interest...

Post by ausrex »

Hi everyone,

Have had the bug since I was a child, but never had the opportunity to try my hands at astronomy at all. Fast forward 30 odd years, the opportunity came when I brought my kid to watch the iMax "Hubble 3D" and he got excited about the universe out there. That was about 2 months back. Then I started researching more in the attempt to fan the flames of my son's new interest, and to rekindle mine!

Took the opportunity to bring him to the SSC during the talk about the moon, and had the chance to observe Saturn and some stars/galaxies (?). We were in awe...

Been scouring the internet for forums and side walk groups, etc. Chanced upon this forum and it's been a wonderful time learning and seeing everyone's opinion here. After reading and "hearing" from this forum, I took the plunge and bought a Vixen Space Eye 70m for the kid, and I'll be purchasing the Celestron 6SE real soon. As you can imagine, work has taken a back seat for the time being... I also do have a very support spouse... She's the real star...

Managed to spot Deneb last night (I think) through the 70 admist a break in the clouds and haze. Was quite exciting.

Will also be going to Dayang for a fishing/snorkeling trip in Oct, so am very interested to attend any sidewalk sessions that anyone can organise to learn as much as I can before I bring all this equipment to Dayang, and not know how to use them or what to view. I'm also learning the night sky on the internet and the sky map that came free with the Vixen.

I've checked out several FB groups and this forum, but the sessions seem to be far and few between. Where can I go to get updates, etc?

Hopefully, I'll be able to go to SSC tonight again with my son, haze, weather and work permitting.

Looking forward to actually join you guys on a side walk, and to learn more from everyone.

Please do let me know what else I can be doing to fast track this hobby!

Thanks!
rlow

Re: Brand new to hobby after many years of interest...

Post by rlow »

Hi ausrex,

Welcome to Singastro!

I will be planning a very special sidewalk event in early Oct, possibly on Fri 3 Oct or Sat.
More details later, but you may like to mark this down on your calendar first.

clears skies
Richard
Richard Low
ausrex

Post by ausrex »

rlow wrote:Hi ausrex,

Welcome to Singastro!

I will be planning a very special sidewalk event in early Oct, possibly on Fri 3 Oct or Sat.
More details later, but you may like to mark this down on your calendar first.

clears skies
Richard
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the invite. That's when I'll be going to Dayang, so will have to give it a miss. I'm hope to try taking some photos of the eclipse on 8 October though! Please do keep me updated!!!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Ausrex,

Welcome, there is one lunar eclipse event on 8th Oct posted in the observation session. Do note the timing of the event, every early in the evening.

viewtopic.php?t=13167
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi and welcome, I stay in east so sometimes will do Observing sessions at Bedok Reservoir or East coast park coconut patch :)

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

welcome to Singastro auxrex! Like you, I was very interested in astronomy but never went into it practically until Wee Kiong rekindled my interest by introducing me to Singastro where I met Remus and saw Jupiter on his Tak60 at 300x for the first time! What a view!
Do check out the many sessions that are held by our members here. Apart from rlow and Junwei, there are sessions almost weekly at Toa Payoh by Gary and Bishan park too. Do check out the broadcasts here. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

my sessions are few and far between....look out for others or check http://www.stargazing.sg

plus we are heading into the wetter months..weather not as friendly/suitable to stargaze...:/
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Remember to keep the optics dry with desiccant or dry cabinet. :)
chianboon

Post by chianboon »

I have a 6se too, just the ota though, love it so far, good balace between weight and aperture.

Haze is really a downer these few days, hope it get better before your trip. Also get to know your computerize mount before the trip, plan for external battery.

Hope you enjoy the many amazing view to come.
ausrex

Post by ausrex »

Thank you all for the very encouraging notes. I'll definitely check out the star gazing events!

So I've purchased the 6SE and mucked around with it on cloudy, starless nights. Not seen anything yet haha.

Yes, I've marked down the 8 Oct lunar eclipse gazing by MystiQ @ Marina Barrage. Will you guys be there? And what happens? Do I just bring the scope and just approach anyone else with a scope and speak? Any secret handshake I need to know?

Thanks!