Not sure which binoculars to get...

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Tenkuru

Not sure which binoculars to get...

Post by Tenkuru »

I'm looking to get my very first pair of binoculars. After some research on the net and reading some books, I decided to go for a 8x42 binoculars for my first buy. I checked around Nikon's webpage but I'm not sure which one to pick, so I'm seeking some advice from veterans. Currently, I'm looking at the Monarch 5 8x42, ACULON A211 8x42 and Prostaff 7 8x42. I was going to get the Nikon Action EX 8x42, but it seems like Nikon stopped making them? (asked around a couple of stores). My budget will be ~$200 or so. Help would be much appreciated.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: Not sure which binoculars to get...

Post by Mariner »

Before you buy, something that you should read up on:

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/bi ... ronomy.php

I would recommend that you consider 7x50 or 10x50 binos if your budget allows. Aperture still plays a part in the view even for binoculars. Consider other brands such as Celestron and Orion too as their offerings are quite reasonable in terms of performance and cost.

If you dun mind, another alternative is to buy second hand binos from fellow astronomers who may be letting go of equipment to put them to better use by others (instead of taking up precious dry cabinet space).
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Tenkuru

Post by Tenkuru »

Thanks for the reply!
Mariner wrote: I would recommend that you consider 7x50 or 10x50 binos if your budget allows.
I read that 10x50 binos are quite taxing on the arms and are hard to hold steady. Is the increase in performance worth the extra weight?
mrthomasyip
Favourite scope: 12" london bridge

Post by mrthomasyip »

No, 7×50 and 10×50 merely same weight. Both share similar objectives size unless model to model specs different. Maybe you are saying a 15x70 with the objective of 70mm then perhap your arm will be little aching...
The Belief of Thomasology.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

I cannot comment on the 42s as I have never used them before. I personally use a pair of 10x70s and I find no issues holding them up for sweeping views. The 50s will be much easier on the hands and comfortable to use over prolonged periods.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Tenkuru

Post by Tenkuru »

Thanks for the advice, I decided to settle for the Prostaff 5 10x50.