Binoculars for a Beginner

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
lsolaTioN

Binoculars for a Beginner

Post by lsolaTioN »

Hi!

I'm a newbie here! I've been meaning to take my first tentative steps into astronomy, but I always had the thought that a telescope would be too expensive or too inconvenient to carry around for me to use much.

I'm thinking of starting out with a pair of binoculars, and I've read a lot about people saying that's a good place to start in!
It's a whole new world out there...all the brands and equipment..
I'm looking at something that's around $200...

I've done a bit of homework, and I'm thinking of getting something along the lines of a 10x50, since most likely I'll be using it handheld. Oh and it should be suitable for a spectacles wearing person too (aka me =P).
But it's probably a good idea to get a feel of how it'll be like in my hands right?
Are there any places in Singapore with a good selection for me to take a look at (and buy if it is affordable)?
Or if any of the pros here have a second pair to sell, I would be interested too!T
Thanks so much!
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Re: Binoculars for a Beginner

Post by bornfree »

There has been quite a number of new threads started in the Beginners Forums about binos and where to buy. Many of the larger camera shops do carry binos as well. if you are looking for a 2nd hand here, you can always put up a WTB thread in the Buy and Sell Forum...
Born to be Free
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

lsolaTioN wrote: But it's probably a good idea to get a feel of how it'll be like in my hands right?
hi Isolation, welcome to singastro!

I'm not sure if the local dealers here allow testing before buying, the easiest way to get a feel is to join some upcoming local obs sessions and try out the binos if anyone brought a pair along. 10x50 or 7x50 binos are a good choice for starting out, 7x42 are also great if u want more compact binos.

Regards,
junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
lsolaTioN

Post by lsolaTioN »

bornfree wrote:There has been quite a number of new threads started in the Beginners Forums about binos and where to buy. Many of the larger camera shops do carry binos as well. if you are looking for a 2nd hand here, you can always put up a WTB thread in the Buy and Sell Forum...
Yup! I read through all of them before I posted anything! I looked at the second hand WTS as well but everything looked so foreign...I didn't think of putting up a WTB though...maybe I'll try that later!
lsolaTioN

Post by lsolaTioN »

antares2063 wrote:
lsolaTioN wrote: But it's probably a good idea to get a feel of how it'll be like in my hands right?
hi Isolation, welcome to singastro!

I'm not sure if the local dealers here allow testing before buying, the easiest way to get a feel is to join some upcoming local obs sessions and try out the binos if anyone brought a pair along. 10x50 or 7x50 binos are a good choice for starting out, 7x42 are also great if u want more compact binos.

Regards,
junwei
Thanks junwei!

But where are some local dealers I can go to? A lot I see are online stores that don't have a physical place to visit..

It's a little last min but I will be going for a cruise on the first week of feb and I was hoping to do some stargazing there...haha...that's why I'm kinda frantically looking! Though I know it's probably not a good idea to rush into it. Otherwise I would like to join a session! But I suppose after the cruise I'll still try to join one and learn from all the pros here!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

you can try looking at http://www.astrobargains.com/ . To see his display in his place near Farrer Road, u can ask for an appointment.

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
bornfree

Post by bornfree »

u can also visit camera shops like those in Sim Lim or Funan, Little India have some pretty big camera shops holding binos. u can go have a feel of those.. tell them considering and look at other shops as well. then if u see anything online that are cheaper you can buy from there then..
Born to be Free
bornfree

Post by bornfree »

u can also visit camera shops like those in Sim Lim or Funan, Little India have some pretty big camera shops holding binos. u can go have a feel of those.. tell them considering and look at other shops as well. then if u see anything online that are cheaper you can buy from there then..
Born to be Free
lsolaTioN

Post by lsolaTioN »

Oh that's a great website! Hopefully there's something suitable for me there! Thanks Junwei!

I didn't know those shops would sell binoculars too...will definitely pay a visit as well!

Thanks so much for all the advise!
dimes
Favourite scope: Celestron CPC 800 Computerized Telescope

Post by dimes »

Hi Isolation!

I'm also a beginner like you and just recently purchased my first pair of binoculars. I only visited Funan, and called in advance to certain shops to check their prices. I was debating between a Vanguard Spirit Plus 10x42, and a Nikon Aculon 10x50. In the end, I went for the Nikon Aculon, which was $140 at SLR Revolution (Funan 3rd floor). Not sure if you can get it for cheaper in other shops elsewhere, but it was definitely cheaper than Harvey Norman which sold it for $158. Other shops that sold binoculars in Funan are Piccel (1st floor) and 25 Cam.

The biggest factor that swung me in favour of the Aculon despite it being a porro prism binoculars and therefore bulkier and heavier than the Spirit Plus, was that I liked the larger diameter of the objective lens, which made the exit pupil larger (5mm for Aculon to 4.2mm for Spirit Plus). I tried a 10x42 Minox binoculars in the same shop, and I noticed that there was the black shadow effect at the sides of my view, which I did not experience (as much of) with the Aculon. If weight and compactness is a big factor for you then perhaps you may not feel the same way, since the Aculon weighs in at 900g, compared to the 600g of the Spirit Plus (roof prisms generally only go up to 700+g). For me, I didn't find the weight much of an issue for now. The limiting factor of how long I can stargaze is more like my neck cramping from looking overhead too long. I also bought a tripod and a tripod adapter for my binoculars, and that also was a great help in getting some fantastic, bright and stable images of the sky.

I definitely advocate getting a physical feel of the binos, even if you intend to purchase them online. You never know when something will cause you to change your mind on the spot. It did for me!

Hope that helped! :)