Advice for first telescope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Sting Rui

Advice for first telescope

Post by Sting Rui »

Hello SingAstro, I was fascinated about astronomy since I was young. Now, I was able to purchase my first telescope. I would appreciate advice to purchase a telescope. After hours of research, I chanced upon this website. Thank you SingAstro for existing here to help me explore the cosmos!

Firstly, as I like to look at planetary objects, I am planning to get a refractor telescope. I decided to purchase either the Astromaster 70AZ/EQ or Powerseeker 80AZ/EQ. (Astro Scientific Centre pointed me to the powerseeker) I am unsure about AZ/EQ mounts because some websites recommend AZ mounts as they are easier to use while others recommend the EQ, saying that it would be easier to track the object you're looking at. I would like to ask the community, which mount I should get in Singapore? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Clifford60

Re: Advice for first telescope

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Rui,

Welcome to Singastro.

Before you buy, suggest you join some of the sidewalk events organize members from this forum to know the plus and minus for the different scopes. You can ask questions and feel the scopes there and then.

If you only plan to do visual, an AZ will be easily to use, very straight for just like camera tripod setup, in fact my of use use this for smaller scope.

For astrophotography (AP), you will need an EQ mount, however the mount you mentioned is not good enough. Also, you need to note that EQ mounts typically are not designed for our latitude of 1°, normally it is for 10° and up, so in order to use in Singapore, modification will be needed.

Most people who bought the mentioned scopes sold them away after a while because they learn the minuses of the scopes. If you don't mind not to own a new scope, you can buy a 2nd hand and much better quality scope at a lower price from member of this forum after learning the different scopes from the sidewalk event. Furthermore, when you upgrade and resell the 2nd scope you will not lost much in value.

Don't rush!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

I absolutely agree with Clifford60.

Where possible, attend any of the sidewalk astronomy sessions to meet the folks and ask questions about their equipment - i.e.
- Why they chose Alt-Az or EQ?
- Why not the other?
- What can X scope do or cannot do?
- How they transport their gear?
- Have they been stopped by police mistaking their scopes for WMDs? etc etc.....

As Clifford mentioned, Alt-Az is easy to use, much like a point-and-shoot camera.
Equatorial is a tad more complicated and does take your mind for a spin to visualise how the movement works, much like a camera in Manual-mode. EQ is also more suitable for astrophotography but that then branches off into a completely different direction of astronomy.

My advice is start simple, start small, or start 2nd hand (most users do handle the scopes with care). Even binoculars work great! Also, never chase after gear, cos that's a never-ending journey. Instead, enjoy the process, setbacks, lessons, discoveries and achievements and it'll be all the more fun!
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

In my opinion, look for the scope and mount with little to no plastic part. It's directly linked to vibration that can negatively affect your ability to get a proper focus on target at higher magnification.
Not impossible to get all metal setup at few hundred dollars budget, just need effort to find and mix different ota with different mount. You can't get it easily with a all-in-one package setup.

Remember to think about solution to store the telescope and eyepieces in a dry environment for fungus prevention. Either by silica gel, thirsty hippo clones or camera electronic dry cabinet.
With a longer refactor your storage need to be bigger too, unless you routinely disassemble the lens cell out.

If you really want to stay in the 70-90mm achromat refractor zone, can consider amazon.com ... it's 20-30% cheaper after including shipping cost.
Sting Rui

Post by Sting Rui »

Thank you all for your insightful comments. Other than the mentioned telescopes, are there any other better refractors with an AZ mount? I would really like to hear your comments please. Thanks.

Look up.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi and welcome...

Scopes and mounts can be purchased separately . And like what the posts mentioned , best way to get more exposure is to go and join some public observing sessions before committing to getting one for personal use. People here are more than willing to share the views.

Would'nt want a newcomer to end up with buyer's remorse and find out the telescope is less than what he/she has imagined it can or cannot do. End up may get another telescope as an upgrade.

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Sting Rui wrote:Thank you all for your insightful comments. Other than the mentioned telescopes, are there any other better refractors with an AZ mount? I would really like to hear your comments please. Thanks.

Look up.
Short tube refractor can continue as a portable setup or extra big finderscope if you choose to upgrade to a much bigger telescope in the future, but it doesn't cope well at the 100x or higher magnification for Lunar and Planetary observation.

Long tube refractor would become redundant if your next bigger scope is a newtonian or cassegrain.

Also note the refractor telescopes marketed as "astro and land" use, the 90 degree diagonal is a "amici" prism design that makes AMBULANCE appear as AMBULANCE. Only 14mm clear aperture, it's not good for serious astro observation, a simple mirror diagonal with 27mm clear aperture will bring up the image quality and brightness noticeably.
Don't buy the eyepiece or accessory kits on impulse.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Rui,

Like what Junwei mentioned, most of us buy scope and mount separately. I have a small refractor, an old WO 72mm F/6 APO doublet mounted on a manfrotto 055 tripod and a 410 head. Of course I still need finder, eyepieces, diagonal, etc. In fact, this is the scope that I use the most, small and portable, magnify @150x is not a problem.

Since it is manual, it forces me to learn about the night sky to find the objects of interest.

Do note that price per inch, refractor is always more expensive than reflector.

Regards
rlow

Post by rlow »

welcome to ts!

what is your budget?

do you drive your own vehicle?

are you solely lokking for planets only? if not, how familiar are you with the constellations in the sky?

answering these questions would help us give you more specific guide to the scope and mount that is suitable for you.
Richard Low
Sting Rui

Post by Sting Rui »

Good morning guys,

To help you all to give me a more specific scope,
I have a budget no more than $550.
I can't drive, but my family does.
I would like to expand to DSOs.
I feel that I am decently familiar with most of our constellations, I was stargazing since 2012. (with my eye)

I live in the East (Tampines) and I would really like to join one of your star parties. Is there a star party in my area?

I hope that I have given you all sufficient information to assist me in my star-gazing expansion. As always, I thank you all for giving your time away to a beginner like me to help me. (to prevent buyer remorse)
I would like to know your thought about this. Thanks!!