Skywatcher 150 f5

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
IvanL

Skywatcher 150 f5

Post by IvanL »

Hi guys, in my previous thread hardwarezone introduced me to the Skywatcher 150 f5 after I realised that shipping the Xt6 would be too expensive. Do you guys have any experience with this scope?

I am planning on getting the OTA (~250SGD with shipping from taobao as it is cheap. Do you guys also have any experience shipping telescopes from tabao?

Thanks again for any help! You guys are very helpful towards newbies!
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Re: Skywatcher 150 f5

Post by Great Red Spot »

With an achromatic lens at F5, this scope will have lots of chromatic aberration (aka false colour). Not good for planetary viewing. But its large aperture should do reasonably well for deep sky. Using the appropriate filters will help cutting down some of the false colour.
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

But I thought achromatic lens are largely only found in refractor scopes? This is a newtonian reflector scope which is why i choose this instead of a refractor.

Correct me if I am wrong though!
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

Ah .... there is also a Skywatcher 150mm f5 refractor (http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articl ... 5-ota-r919) ...

You can never go wrong with Newtonians. Just be prepared to accept its bulk and weight.