Observation In South East area

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Observation In South East area

Post by haejae »

Hello, im a beginner and just bought a new scope a week or so ago. I have trouble observing even the brightest objects in the sky like stars and needless to say planets. With a 10x50 celestron bino, i could only make out certain stars. any advice will be appreciated. Thanks! Scope(5 ich newtonian) [smilie=admire2.gif]
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Observation In south east area

Post by antares2063 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, grats on your new telescope.

I'm not too sure as to what your query is ? We are living in Singapore, if you are trying to observe out from home windows, chances are you wont see much stars in the sky. Now with the haze on and off it makes the matters worse. In order to see more, need to bring scope to relatively darker places like rural parts of Malaysia.

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
haejae

Post by haejae »

Is there any place in the East area that is reputable for "dark Skies?''. Also as i am a novice and just 14 yrs old can i participate in any upcoming obv sessions around the east? Thank you
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

Well i stay in the East too, you may try Bedok Reservoir or East Coast Park . FOr East Coast Park there is a big field 100m away from the Hawker Center, the coconut patch of ECP near the ex-Goldkist chalet has been boarded up so that site is out. Try to get away from the jogging path lights if you can. And try aim for the brighter DSOs...galaxies in Singapore are tough. You are using a starchart apps on your mobile phone i guess?

As what greatredspot mentioned in your other thread, the haze is the problem, it kills everything visually even for bright stars. Need too tahan till the fires are gone for good...

As for public sessions, of cos u are welcome to join, age isnt an issue. Not much on now due to the extent of this haze.

Regards
Junwei
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

maybe you can try the moon. look at the craters along the terminator (the shadow cutting across the moon) shadows of the craters along this area makes the moon a good object to look at. at least that is the brightest object to look at during this hazy period.
Born to be Free
haejae

Post by haejae »

Okay thank you Jun Wei and bornfree. Just one last thing, besides the moon are there any other good objects i can use the 127 eq to look at? Thanks!:)
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

No worries Haejae, actually i would like to ask back some to help with your queries:

1. Do u use your scope from indoors looking out or do u setup outdoors? Any tall buildings blocking? (difficult in sg..haha)

2. Which constellations do u recognise? There are some easier M objects now in the sky..both early part of the night and predawn. But im excluding the predawn sky assuming your parents dont like u to stay up too late. Orion rises around 2am these days. M42 in Orion is bright , so are M7 in Scorpius, M8 in Sagittarius. If you are armed with a star chart dont go for those more than magnitude 4-5 to be sure of what you are looking at.

Venus and jupiter rises just before sun rise timing. Saturn is in the western direction right after nightfall but its getting lower.

Hope this helps?
Junwei
haejae

Re: Observation In South East area

Post by haejae »

Yes there are buildings around me unfortunately [smilie=crying2.gif]

My field of view from my house is 40-60 degrees facing the west
Thank you.
haejae

Post by haejae »

1) i use it primarily indoors as what i have said ^
2) I cant really recognise any constellations these few weeks becos of the sickenong haze which limits me to only recognise stars o magnitudes lower than 0:(
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

Dont worry, we all are suffering from clear sky withdrawal symptoms haha...cant do any proper observing with the haze.

Next time if got session will post on forum and pm u. (Once haze is truly gone)

Regards
junwei