Telescope for kids

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Re: Telescope for kids

Post by acc »

I am not confident that the scope you shortlisted will give satisfying views of even the moon. The equatorial mount will also be frustrating to use. I would not recommend it. You can consider the scope MystiQ recommended, or something like this https://www.astro.com.sg/astro/display_ ... c=66866885.

If they are too expensive, one option is to join one of the occasional star parties as a first introduction for your son.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
happymummy
Favourite scope: none

Post by happymummy »

acc wrote:I am not confident that the scope you shortlisted will give satisfying views of even the moon. The equatorial mount will also be frustrating to use. I would not recommend it. You can consider the scope MystiQ recommended, or something like this https://www.astro.com.sg/astro/display_ ... c=66866885.

If they are too expensive, one option is to join one of the occasional star parties as a first introduction for your son.
Hmmms. How about this one? Found in Carousell:

https://carousell.com/p/12109094

And there's another one in carousell 525 Power Astronomy Telescope with the below specs:
Includes: Alt-azimuth mouth with micro-adjustment control Adjustable tripod Interchangable eyepieces: 12.5mm (56x), 4mm (175x). 1.5x erecting eyepiece 3x Barlow lens 5x24mm finderscope with crosshairs
https://carousell.com/p/36662986

And this one that doesn't says anything except Telescope EduScience 50 - 600:
https://carousell.com/p/39351874
Was googling and found this that looks like the same thing:
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/astronomy-te ... b-13148247
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Get the first one...
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

mentioned 7x35 for binoculars. so that is good enough to 'see moon'? for binoculars is it the higher the number the better it is??
Ok some basic bino facts here. Normally the first number in front of the 'x' represents the magnification of the object seen when viewing thru it. The second number refers to the diameter of the lens , where the light enters the bino. There is a misconception that the larger the 2nd number means the better the binos. Actually what all binos and telescopes do is to collect more light. The larger the diameter (or aperture) the fainter the stuff can be seen with it. As the moon is a very bright object, any bino will do good at it.

Dark neptune recommended a 7x35 as it is small and easy to be held by your kid. I own a 10x50. If placed side by side, the 10x50 is bigger and also heavier.

Other common bino sizes to consider : 7x50 or 8x40 . Do not get a __ x 60 or __ x80 as they are too large to be handheld and requires atripod to support the weight.

Regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi happymum
Good that your kid is interested in astronomy. I am also something like that.....get hook to astro
Stuff at age of 10...pr 4.Ultimately I own many
Scopes and bino....some of which regret buying. So the key issue is to engage in a journey with minimum cost and feasible to your environment
Now for the first scope.....if you live in a flat and its low floor then I recommend a bino....say a 7x50 for easy going to the outside to view.If you live
In a high level in a flat .
.....which enables you to view the sky anytime at night then go for a telescope.
Note that you dont have to sell your bino during your upgrade because that 7x50 will be usefull when a comet suddenly appears.
So for a start go for a 7x50.Aim south and scan the sky there......lots and lots of cluster s there......
........likt pincushion ,southern pleiades,etc (jan to may every year)
As for the moon....
If you want a no money wasting journey I wont
recommend a 60 MM REFRACTOR.I will say a 80
mm is better.Will tell you later.
By the way those power seeker with the rod type slow motion control is shaky and hopeless.Thanks.....My 2 cents.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

I think at $60 budget , ignore the planets first.
Focus on the Moon. It is an easy target.
Binoculars 7x to 10x too low magnification to enlarge the disk of the Moon. Your son knock or drop it then trouble liao the left and right lens not parallel cannot merge images.
Get a telescope with appropriate eyepiece for 30+ magnification.
Children's expectation are lower , they won't mind the flaws as long got light shine into eyeball.

*earlier post, powerseeker 50 is 68.30 USD (sgd 100) on amazon include shipping , not 150
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

acc wrote:Get the first one...
Yes. Agree with Chee Chien the first one is the ONLY one worth getting among the three.
But do check for fungus on the mirror. Dust is ok but preferrably no fungus on the mirror. It would be great for the moon and easy to use too. I think it sells for around $120-$160 at the Science Centre.

BTW, if you are free, do drop by the Science Centre on Friday nights especially this Friday where Richard (rlow) will be showing his brand new Bino. Definitely a better view of the moon! Do check out his thread here :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13921

and also....Welcome Singastro! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
happymummy
Favourite scope: none

Post by happymummy »

Dear Everybody!

Thank you for all your kind suggestions. Manage to get something and didn't burn a big hole in the pocket. Little one is all so excited. Now just waiting for a clear night sky and the moon to come out. Big thank you once again!!

Wishes all a happy huat huat new year!!! =)