ZWO ASI 224MC

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
fastdove

ZWO ASI 224MC

Post by fastdove »

Dear All,

I have been trying to do imaging through a BOSMA TCE-200 but only successful on the moon due to size and light.
I tried this on the Jupiter - Mars , the lights should not be picked up on the computer hence not able to focus. Used SharpCap software.

Am considering getting the ZWO ASI 224MC as an alternative. Anyone with experience with this at low light for focusing and taking shots? Can I magnify further the images with adapters etc?
Appreciate all the advice I can get before making my order. Am a noob here at Astro Photography.

Any recommendation on an Alternate CCD Camera and software I should be using?

Telescope used are the Skywatcher 150/750 Newtonian and MCT 127 - 1500mm

Thank you so much for reading.

Regards
Vincent
geyes30

Re: ZWO ASI 224MC

Post by geyes30 »

The ASI 224MC is a good choice for planetary imaging. It has pretty low read noise, and that allows the gain to be bumped up real high when imaging. However it will not be very useful for most DSOs as there is significant gradient in the sensor (i.e. the brightness is not uniform across the field), which has been attributed to amp glow (though I am pretty sure that's just shorthand for other, more complex problems). In Singapore, where it is plenty hot, the noise level can also be intolerable.

The chip is very small, which can be a good thing if you want to use reducers to get a faster focal ratio. I've used the camera for almost a year, and though I like it quite a bit, I have to say it is at best a mediocre astrophotography camera. With regards to the software, SharpCap and AstroLive USB are pretty good. AstroLive USB, in particular, costs > 100 USD if bought, but because of an ongoing collaboration, ZWO owners can get it free.
fastdove

Re: ZWO ASI 224MC

Post by fastdove »

Thanks so much for your advice. Really useful for my consideration.

Cheers!