New telescope, can't find jupiter

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
lololoI
Favourite scope: Too noob to have any

New telescope, can't find jupiter

Post by lololoI »

Hi guys, so my telescope was delivered today, and i decided to try it out tonight. It is my first telescope, a gskyer az70400. Had no problems setting it up, was quite simple.

When I pointed it at the moon, was very glad that it worked perfectly, the image was very clear.

However, when I tried to point it a Jupiter, all I see is a grey-ish circle with a black line from the top to the bottom. I don't see the moons nor the great red spot. I shifted my location, My question is, am I looking at Jupiter or something else nearby? If yes, why does it not look like it? How do I solve this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

P.s. I tried adding the photo of that grey circle to this post, but it says " file size too big", do let me know if you want to see the picture of it then we discuss on how do I send it to you.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: New telescope, can't find jupiter

Post by Hardwarezone »

I think you looked at it when it's too low or close to the horizon, thus the light have to go through dense part of atmosphere.
9pm+ last night ?

Great red spot would be challenging to spot in your scope.
The 4 moons would be no problem.

You can improve image quality and brightness by getting a 90 degree mirror diagonal instead of the bundled 45 degree prism.
The bundled free 3x barlow is also harmful to image quality , try not to depend on it long term.
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/New-1-25-90- ... 1438.l2649

lololoI

Post by lololoI »

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I was viewing at 9pm+. Will try again next time at around 7+
lololoI

Post by lololoI »

I tried again just now at around 1940, but I still see the exact same grey circle :(
And no moons too :'(
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi IololoI,
Here are some tips. Make sure the eyepiece is fully in before screwing in the locking screw. Otherwise the locking screw is too far in an obstructing the eyepiece from going too far in. Also, 70mm aperture is really too small for more serious viewing. Maximum magnification is around 140 but I think in reality, the optics would function up to around x100. Also, when looking at the planet, start with the 25mm (x16 mag and don't use the Barlow!). Then do a slow focussing. There will be alot of vibration, so adjust and pause when adjusting.
Once you can get a good image of Jupiter, swap to the 10mm (x40) eyepiece and repeat. At x40, you should be able to see the moons clearly. Once you have perfected it, you can try adding the Barlow although I suspect the image will not be impressive.
For Singapore skies, I personally think that you need at least 105mm (4") aperture for decent performance.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Another alternative is to bring your refractor+setup to a public session and approach the veterans there for help :)

There's one group at open space in front of Toa Payoh library, one at Bishan Park macdonald's area, and one at the grass area near to Blk 36 Pine Lane (ehind Old Airport Road Hawker center).

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

A similar scope , the C travelscope 70 , most cannot hit 100x magnification out of the box.
Some users tried to loosen the lens holder slightly and shake it then retighten , with pure luck it will be centered and improve the higher achievable magnification.

Usually if they do this , should be quite into this hobby for some time and change the 45 degree diagonal already , that part is not meant for astro use (reduce brightness and contrast) but factory include it to market the product as dual-purpose to look at nature landscape.
lololoI

Post by lololoI »

Hi airconvennt,

Thanks for your tips!

"Make sure the eyepiece is fully in before screwing in the locking screw." Done.
"start with the 25mm " did that too.
"Then do a slow focussing" this is the point where I see the grey circle, thus i didn't do the next step( using the 10mm eyepiece)
---------
Hi Antares2063,

Saw on FB that there will be a session at novena tonight! Will definitely join them later ! (To those who will be there, see you tonight!!)
--------
Hi hardwarezone,
I shall try looking through the scope without the diagonal tonight to see the difference. Thanks for the tips!
----------
Thanks everyone, really appreciate it!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Ioioio1,
Succeeded yet? :)
I managed to catch Jupiter and Saturn yesterday when the sky was clear. Caught at at x56 and x170. Given the small aperture, I could still see detailed bands albeit faintly on Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn is a better choice though as it is at zenith at around 9-10pm.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
lololoI

Post by lololoI »

Hihi,
Have been quite busy for the past week and will be busy for the next 2 weeks too :(
And whenever i can squeeze in free time the clouds will come :(

I shall wait for another 2 weeks where I will be a little bit more free then try again. Hope by then jupiter won't be below the horizon. I remember reading somewhere that jupiter will go below the horizon at sept, hope i can catch it by then.