Storage for telescope to prevent fungus buildup

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ahbock

Storage for telescope to prevent fungus buildup

Post by ahbock »

Hi, would like to know how do you store your telescope when not in use, so to prevent fungus build up on the lens. Especially the humidity in Singapore is high.

Thanks.
joecool1211

Re: Storage for telescope to prevent fungus buildup

Post by joecool1211 »

Hi!

I try to keep the tube in a dry cabinet. That's probably the best way to keep it dry overall. This has kept my camera lenses fungus-free for more than 10 years.

Another alternative (though I'm not sure how effective) is to keep it in a plastic bag (e.g. the packaging it came with) with a big pack of silica gel.

Hope that helps.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Depends on the size. But a dry box is always the best. If you scope too long for the dry box, then storing it in a large plastic box with Thirsty Hippo may be another option. Disadvantage is you need to check and replace the drying agent frequently.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
geyes30

Post by geyes30 »

I bought a dehumidifier 3 years ago and placed it in my household shelter. I store my cameras, lenses, telescopes and more valuable books in there. It maintains 50%rh and has for the past few years. No mold problems at all.
ahbock

Post by ahbock »

Unfortunately my scope is too long for a standard size dry cabinet. Guess I will have to wrap it in the plastic bag which came with it, and put the moisture adsorbing thingy inside. Thanks all for the input.
Mibmom
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Post by Mibmom »

Well... I keep mine in several large 'Toyogo' Plastic boxes. I lined the edges to make it less accessible to air... then add in a 'Thirsty Hippo' and a hygrometer.
I also tie the lid down to make a tighter seal. You will have to change the 'Thirsty Hippo' every 2 months or so..
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
~ Serenity
geyes30

Post by geyes30 »

Might wanna be careful with the thirsty hippo though. They become very wet over time and I accidentally tipped one over and destroyed some lenses when the dissolved calcium chloride came into contact with the optics.