TASOS?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
DCWZ

TASOS?

Post by DCWZ »

Hi all, I'm recently considering to join the more established people and communities of astronomy in Singapore, of which the biggest is, of course, The Astronomical Society of Singapore. Are there any current active members on this page that can give me a good opinion and overview on this community? Like the community's culture, event qualities, people, etc. Don't like to be isolated in the astronomical community like I am now as I just joined recently lol. Greatly appreciated!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: TASOS?

Post by Airconvent »

Hi DCWZ,
I would think that most Tasos members are like you and me. You can meet them on Friday evenings at the science centre whenever they conduct astronomy sessions. Or drop by Astro Scientific to talk shop with Albert too. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
DCWZ

Post by DCWZ »

Airconvent wrote:Hi DCWZ,
I would think that most Tasos members are like you and me. You can meet them on Friday evenings at the science centre whenever they conduct astronomy sessions. Or drop by Astro Scientific to talk shop with Albert too. :)
Thanks lots for the advice!!
Anyone else has any more experience to share?
beginner

Post by beginner »

Hi DCWZ,

You seem quite critical about the Astro Club that is qualified enough for you to join.
As you already concluded, TASOS is the largest club locally. So what are you waiting for ?

What is your definition of "established people and communities" ... like doctors, lawyers, architect, or CEO or COO.
Can a Grab Driver interested in Astro be considered established ?
DCWZ

Post by DCWZ »

beginner wrote:Hi DCWZ,

You seem quite critical about the Astro Club that is qualified enough for you to join.
As you already concluded, TASOS is the largest club locally. So what are you waiting for ?

What is your definition of "established people and communities" ... like doctors, lawyers, architect, or CEO or COO.
Can a Grab Driver interested in Astro be considered established ?
I'm not sure where you're seeing from that I'm "critical", but rest assured, I am in no way disapproving of anything. Alas, I know next to nothing about the club aside from some of the information they put on their website, so how can I be critical of them? :)
"Established" simply means a well-connected network of people who have their own large-scale organised social or educational events and more advanced equipments, and perhaps even government contact to do some special events (which I know they do).
So aside from what I know of now, are there any more information you can provide me with, especially first-hand experiences in the community? Much appreciated! :D