Looking for an upgrade

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
siixer

Looking for an upgrade

Post by siixer »

Hi all,
I recently saved enough to get a decent upgrade from my current scope, AstroMaster 70AZ. I am currently split between the NexStar 4se, 130 SLT or the 127 Mak SLT. Can anyone help me to choose which is the best one from the bunch and if you have any other suggestions that does not require overseas shipping, do leave them here as well. Do note that I am still a student and can't really afford anything extravagant.
Thanks!
ivan
Favourite scope: TAK-oyaki

Re: Looking for an upgrade

Post by ivan »

Hi,

It would be helpful if you could share what objects you'd prefer looking at. For example, if you're mostly interested in planets, a Mak (or any long focal length scope) would do better than a Newt of the same aperture. In most cases, you'd also want to get more aperture. The NexStar 4se falls short in this regard.

If you know the sky sufficiently, you can also cut cost on the goto and get a manual mount, and spend more on getting a larger aperture.

Lastly, consider getting a good condition set from the used market locally.
Just a casual stargazer
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Change the ball shaped 90 degree "diagonal" to a 1.25" mirror diagonal and 32mm plossl.

Total cost $12 + $20 if bought online from overseas.
Big improvement over the original stuff that came packaged "free" with the Astromaster.

https://i.imgur.com/dDJTfL9.png
siixer

Post by siixer »

Hi Ivan!
I do not have really specific targets to look out for. I just observe whatever is out on that night. Also, can you suggest me any local used market apart from this site?
Thanks!

Hi Hardwarezone!
I already have a 1,25" mirror diagonal which my friend gave me along with a 25mm plossl.
Thanks!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi,
This site probably has the largest collection of second hand buy-sell items locally. Astrobargains.com also have a classifieds corner but at present there is only 1 item there. His site is a good place to start if you are looking to buy brand new though. He has a large "showroom" at his place. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ivan
Favourite scope: TAK-oyaki

Post by ivan »

Yeah I was referring to this site. It's a bit slow because SG is small, but if you're not in a hurry you might find something that fits your requirements.
Just a casual stargazer
siixer

Post by siixer »

Follow up:
Sorry for not being able to update this post, have been away on a school trip :<
Anyways, I've been doing some research on the 4SE and the 130 SLT and the people on astronomy forums are also too split for me to decide. One would say that the 4SE FOV would be too small while the other would say that the 130SLT is too wobbly. So yeah, I need the help of you guys to help me decide on which is the best for me.
Just to add on to what I would be doing with the new scope. I hope to get better astro images than the one I currently have. I don't mind having coma, field rotation or chromatic aberration. I just want to improve on the ones I already have. These photos are taken with my P20 Pro night mode which I found out is better than my Canon 6d Mk2. I also hope to have better planetary and DSO views if possible as Jupiter and Saturn are too small to be fully resolved and I only managed to see a few bright DSOs
And I also realized that some items are cheaper at Astro Scientific than at AstroBargains like the 4SE which costs $933 as compared to $1199 on astrobargains.
I am open to other suggestions
Thanks Again!
Here are some which I took with the 70AZ
https://imgur.com/a/Yyb0vtL
JackWhite
Favourite scope: dragonflyaerospace

Post by JackWhite »

ivan wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 am Hi,

It would be helpful if you could share what objects you'd prefer looking at. For example, if you're mostly interested in planets, a Mak (or any long focal length scope) would do better than a Newt of the same aperture. In most cases, you'd also want to get more aperture. The NexStar 4se falls short in this regard.

If you know the sky sufficiently, you can also cut cost on the goto and get a manual mount, and spend more on getting a larger aperture.

Lastly, consider getting a good condition set from the used market locally.
According to the reviews and overall look right now I am considering to take this one too :D A good model for its money for sure.