how to start using my skywatcher mak 127 with az porta mount

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
2005-passat

how to start using my skywatcher mak 127 with az porta mount

Post by 2005-passat »

hi guys,
a bit stressed actually, my wife's birthday coming soon...
wanna learn how to use the telescope fast...

setup no problem
now question is how to find what i want to see....
anyone can advise here ?

like maybe take reference from orion....then left right.....can find something interesting to see....otherwise...maybe just scanning the sky non-stop...

thanks....i am a real real newbie here....any any advise would help...
happy holiday everyone !!

thanks a million...
anat

Post by anat »

So, read "Turn Left at Orion" :) It is a good book.

Anat
Last edited by anat on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Welcome to Singastro :) Astronomy is supposed to be a relaxing hobby you know, so calm now a bit. At most get scolded by wife. Or if you see nothing through the eyepiece claim that its a black hole you are pointing at :)

-Get a basic star-chart such as those you can download for free at www.skyandtelescope.com or www.telescope.com
-Use a binocular to familiarise yourself with the sky
-Use a low power eyepiece when searching for objects. Try M42 the Orion nebulae for instant gratification
-Join a local star-party
-Check out the articles in our FAQ section.

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
NGC 5139

Post by NGC 5139 »

Hello,

Hmm, if you're looking near Orion (the brightest constellation in winter skies)..look for the 3 stars in a row that form his belt. Look right of it to find M42/M43, the brightest diffuse nebula (star cloud and area of star birth) in the sky.

Tracing a line from the 3 stars downwards brings you to Sirius, the brightest star in the sky and one of the closest to the solar system. Tracing a line upwards from the 3 stars goes to a bright red star, Aldebaran. Scan the area at low power to find a V-shaped bright, loose cluster known as the Hyades. Continue going upwards along the line, you'll come near to a bright, unblinking red object- Mars. Look for its snow cap :). Nearby is the brightest open cluster in the sky, M45, the Pleiades.

If you stay up late, you can try to trace the "G" in the heavens.

Have a nice day
Omega
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
a bit stressed actually, my wife's birthday coming soon...
wanna learn how to use the telescope fast...
Don't need to be stress la... Astronomy is a relaxing hobby. :) Just learn together with your wife lor... should be quite fun this way... =P =P

First make sure you align your finder scope or the red dot finder to your scope. You can use the red aircraft warning light on top of building to align your finder. Then start to use your finder to point to whatever you want to see lor.

I suggest the following object for you to "target practise":
1) Venus: The brightest object (except the sun and the moon) at the western sky in the evening.
2) The moon: It's will visible again at the western sky in a few days time.
3) Mars: The bright red star light object in the Night Sky.

By the way, welcome to SingAstro!!!

Enjoy and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Jim McGill
Vendor

Hi....

Post by Jim McGill »

Hi Newbie,

You can seriously consider buying McGill's Astro Start-Up Package at only $S129. Includes:

1)Orion WorldView 10x50 WA Bino
2)Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars
3)Local Planisphere by The Night Sky

For more info, please refer to www.mcgill.com.sg.

Unfortunately I didn't have such basic tools when I first started. I learnt things the hard way! Ha..ha...

Robin of McGill would be glad to assist you on the purchase, at 9456-6785.

Thanks!

Jim, McGill
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

For instant gratification of your new investment, wake up at 4am, face East, and point your scope to Saturn. Guaranteed will keep you busy until dawn!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hmm... if I read your post correctly, you need to learn how to navigate the skies before your wife's birthday? Err... why?

Anyway, with the Northeast monsoon upon us, you would be hard-pressed to find a clear night to observe until Feb/Mar.

Good luck!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Anyway, with the Northeast monsoon upon us, you would be hard-pressed to find a clear night to observe until Feb/Mar.
In past experience, there will be some very clear night in Dec period. I remember last year, I had seen M41 a few times during Dec with nake eye while walking along the road... ok, I need to use my hand to block off some street light, but those were the night where the sky was very clear.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi 2005-passat,
Its a pity you did not come for Mars Watch.
There was this couple whose son has a newtonian on equatorial mount and teacher weixing was educating him on how to use it....you could have joined in. (actually I should join in too since I don't know how to use an equatorial mount either!)

btw, good tactic, get the wife interested and budget allocation for future upgrades would be easy! :lol:

weixing - so will we see your new baby at this weekend's ob? if yes, then no need for us to bring scope cos it will be cloudy!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets