how to start using my skywatcher mak 127 with az porta mount

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ALPiNe

Post by ALPiNe »

Airconvent wrote:Hi 2005-passat,
Its a pity you did not come for Mars Watch.
There was this couple whose son has a newtonian on equatorial mount and teacher weixing was educating him on how to use it....you could have joined in. (actually I should join in too since I don't know how to use an equatorial mount either!)
Hmm..I don't think it will make much of a difference...It might just make 2005-passat even more confused..He is actually using a Porta AZ mount.. Just hope teacher weixing's new telescope uses a Porta AZ mount too, then there shall be some tutorial lessons? :D

Cheers,
:cheers:
- ALPiNe
AGMI

Post by AGMI »

In past experience, there will be some very clear night in Dec period
but what weixing stated i find very true. december = lots of stuff to see + countless clear nights. guarenteed not to disappoint
Do You Believe That Forks Are Evolved From Spoons?
2005-passat

j

Post by 2005-passat »

mine is
vixen porta alt az mount, quite easy to use...
skywatcher maksutov 127

the challenge is to navigate the sky.....
my wifey registered myself a star....
pisces RA 1h35m7s D14degree28'

wanna try to find it lo.....
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

wat......... u mean ur wife pay a company to put ur name to a particular star isit? If so I fear she might be conned! There is no other internationally accepted astronomy organisation except the IAU, that has the rights to name celestial objects. :idea: :shock:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

the challenge is to navigate the sky.....
my wifey registered myself a star....
pisces RA 1h35m7s D14degree28'

wanna try to find it lo.....
i'm sorry to say that even if such a star exists, you probably won't be able to find it using your altaz mount and your small scope (and in our crappy sky). Best chance is using your computer to try to locate it (use starry night, the sky, or cartes du ciel).
rlow

Post by rlow »

hi 2005-passat

I think the fastest and easy way to learn would be to join in one of the observation session, eg, you can check with Weixing in the east or David Lian in the west. Or maybe you can check with someone who live nearby your place for some assistance.
Tachyon

Re: j

Post by Tachyon »

2005-passat wrote:pisces RA 1h35m7s D14degree28'
Hmm... couldn't find any stars at the given coordinates down to 14th mag in my Starry Night Pro. Anyone else manage to locate this star?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Hmm... couldn't find any stars at the given coordinates down to 14th mag in my Starry Night Pro.
Try hubble...
jermng

Re: j

Post by jermng »

Tachyon wrote:
Hmm... couldn't find any stars at the given coordinates down to 14th mag in my Starry Night Pro. Anyone else manage to locate this star?
HAHA ... of course you can't find lah ... it's not meant for us .. it's meant for 2005-passat - from his wife.. hee hee ... Come on guys ... Guess we dun have to rub it in eh? I think the whole star naming thing is just for fun and for the whole meaning of it (gift from a love one with good intentions) ... Dun have to be "technically" or scientifically correct ... =) hee hee ...

Cheers!
Jeremy Ng
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

...at the very least physically correct??? :wink: