Collimation Simulation

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Canopus Lim

Collimation Simulation

Post by Canopus Lim »

I did some optical simulation for a Newtonian(reflector) telescope using my office's Zemax raytracing optical CAD program. The purpose is to show beginners why collimation is important in a optical systems. The simulated optical system is a 8inch F/6 Newtonian. The primary parabolic mirror is purple in colour, the diagonal is cyan in colour. The blue lines are the parallel light rays (star light is generally parallel) that enter the reflector. The parallel light is reflected by the parabolic mirror and in turn reflected by the 45 degree diagonal into the eyepiece. The focuser is the almost transparent cylindrical blog. A flat square shape 'sensor' is placed at the focal plane. When properly collimated, the light rays will focus onto the CENTRE of the focal plane.

A) Properly collimated
B) Parabolic mirror misaligned by 0.1 degree; diagonal aligned properly. Notice the slight shift from t centre of the 'sensor' compared to (A)
C) Parabolic mirror misaligned by 0.4 degree; diagonal aligned properly. Considerably out of the centre of the 'sensor'

D) Diagonal misaligned by 0.5 degree. Parabolic mirror aligned properly.
ImageImage

From these simulations, it can be seen that a slight misalignment of the parabolic mirror will affect the focus position considerably. The diagonal misalignment is not so significant compared to the parabolic mirror.
ovc17m

Post by ovc17m »

Hmm... what are the available methods of collimating a reflector? I had no idea if mine is out of collimation or not. :help:
~Clear skies don't occur every night, so date your BIG LENS out when the chance comes~
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... what are the available methods of collimating a reflector? I had no idea if mine is out of collimation or not.
Use a laser collimator or collimating eyepiece like the one I show you or use star test.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Hi Thanks for the illustrations on collimating a telescope.

My question is how do we know if a telescope is "perfectly" collimated?

siah heng
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

siahheng wrote:Hi Thanks for the illustrations on collimating a telescope.

My question is how do we know if a telescope is "perfectly" collimated?

siah heng
Star test at using the highest power you have.
denebman

Post by denebman »

Nice pictures, to put it simple: the element with less optical power tolerates more collimation errors.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

i used tectron toolset and now howie-glatter laser collimator. very easy to use (especially the laser).