Bright object on west sky

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
um, i thought mars could be seen onli like once in 250 years ?
No... Mars can be seen every year, but it'll be brighter than normal every two years because it move to a position close to earth every two years... this is call Oppersition. This year is also a Mars Oppersition year, so you can see Mars clearly.
sorry .. im kinda dumb on this astrology thing ^^||
I'm also dumb in Astrology... but don't worry, this is not astrology... it is call Astronomy... :)

*Curious to see the replies*
Sorry to disappoint you in my reply... ha ha ha =P =P =P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

So does anyone know about astrology here? :D :D
just curious =P
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

soulfrost wrote:um, i thought mars could be seen only like once in 250 years ? sorry .. im kinda dumb on this astrology thing ^^||
hi soulfrost,
i think you need to know the diff between astronomy and astrology.

Astronomy is the study of the universe that we live in.

Astrology is something you use to determine if you will meet your dreamboy/dream girl" today or whether you should cut your hair.

Both do not mix. In some of the astronomy groups I have come across, any mention of "Astrology " will have that community up in arms! ....

don't worry about the dumb part....you're not dumb, you just have not downloaded the necessary data into your brain yet..
pop by the faq section and read up on the faq first...

cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Err.. and it's "Opposition".

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Err.. and it's "Opposition".
Oops... Spelling mistake again... :oops: Yes.. it is spell as "Opposition". I did check the spelling on the dictionary before I type... hmm... Somehow my brain and my hand do not get along too well... =P =P =P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Oops... Spelling mistake again... Yes.. it is spell as "Opposition". I did check the spelling on the dictionary before I type... hmm... Somehow my brain and my hand do not get along too well...
don't worry, as long as you don't call it superstition :P
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

Airconvent wrote:
soulfrost wrote:um, i thought mars could be seen only like once in 250 years ? sorry .. im kinda dumb on this astrology thing ^^||
hi soulfrost,
i think you need to know the diff between astronomy and astrology.

Astronomy is the study of the universe that we live in.

Astrology is something you use to determine if you will meet your dreamboy/dream girl" today or whether you should cut your hair.

Both do not mix. In some of the astronomy groups I have come across, any mention of "Astrology " will have that community up in arms! ....
oh . ok. that was confusing.... always get those 2 mixed. u mind if i ask : are those 2 related somehow?
don't worry about the dumb part....you're not dumb, you just have not downloaded the necessary data into your brain yet..
pop by the faq section and read up on the faq first...
cheers
i'll do so, once i back up my brain... it needs abit of oiling and polishing....
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

soulfrost wrote: oh . ok. that was confusing.... always get those 2 mixed. u mind if i ask : are those 2 related somehow?
mm..I thought I answered the question?

Astrology is the superstitious belief that your life is somehow controlled by the time you were born. How you fare, who you meet are all determined based on interaction of people from the 12 zodiac groups. Although they make use of names like "Jupiter" and "Saturn" and "Sagittarius", these are merely representations to make it easier to understand their beliefs....

Astronomy is based purely on science although in ancient times, the division between religion and science is extremely vague...eg..In the dark ages, religious fanatics believed that the earth was in the centre of the universe and fiercely guarded that philiosophy through perseution until it was dismissed by a few brave scientists. today, astronomy is based purely on our known law of physics and observations. of course there is still much we still do not yet understand but as we observe more, we eventually will....most certainly where Saturn and Jupiter now has nothing to do with whether your 4-D number will come in!

:lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi folks:

Yet... there is still another class of object ( slow moving) that will misled a new comer to ID them. See this pm image. The top obj moves very slowly and will disappear 7:24pm .. foto taken around 7:09pm this evening..

http://www.geocities.com/chiayk1/moon_v ... alloon.jpg

The weather balloon can be seen all over the island... due to parallax you might detected in different position w.r.t the stars/planet..

rgds
ykchia
www.ykchia.com
Aryanto

Post by Aryanto »

Ahahahaha..
Funny astrology: Thai leader grants no interviews, citing bad planetary alignment
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/11/21/thai.pm.ap/