Bright object on west sky

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
alex76

Bright object on west sky

Post by alex76 »

Hi,

I can't find info in other site, so I just register here hopefully someone can tell me what is the bright object over west sky in the evening about 8pm.

Thankss
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! :k-hello: :k-hello: :k-hello:
I can't find info in other site, so I just register here hopefully someone can tell me what is the bright object over west sky in the evening about 8pm.
That is Venus... the 2nd planet in our Solar System.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
alex76

Post by alex76 »

HI thanks!...
I don't have a bino or telescope to observe it... but obviously it does not blink at all... so I thought is was some man-made satellite, but again, there's so many thousands of man-made satellite out there, y only one lights up...

Thanks weixing... btw I think I did notice Mars on eastern sky to.....
and also... correct me if me direction is wrong, cos I still not too sure how to find orientation on the sky...
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

satellites move fast.. and it must be really dark for u to see them..
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
so I thought is was some man-made satellite, but again, there's so many thousands of man-made satellite out there, y only one lights up.
Most of the satellite are quite dim and unless you go and look for it, you won't notice it... of course a Satellite flare (cause by the antennas or solar panels of satellites directly reflect sunlight) event will cause the satellite to "lights" up brightly for a few seconds.
I think I did notice Mars on eastern sky
Yes... correct. Mars is high on the eastern sky at 8pm... :D
cos I still not too sure how to find orientation on the sky
Use the same north, south east and west... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
alex76

Post by alex76 »

wow.... thanks.... very informative forum :)

cheers!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

alex76 wrote:cos I still not too sure how to find orientation on the sky...
You can use a compass. Do you still have one left over from NS or Scout days?

In my opinion, Venus is not an exciting object to observe. You can see the different phases but no surface features. No rings like Saturn, no Red Spot like Jupiter, and no dust storms like Mars. However, Venus is very useful for testing refractors for colors.

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
NGC 5139

Post by NGC 5139 »

Look out for Mars too- it's really bright in the east at night, as long there are no clouds obscuring your vision :).
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

um, i thought mars could be seen only like once in 250 years ? sorry .. im kinda dumb on this astrology thing ^^||
jermng

Post by jermng »

*Curious to see the replies* :wink: