suggestions on what telescopes to purchase

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

http://www.starmatrix.biz/ is also another local dealer.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Yes! Sorry about that! Was writing at like 1 am... :oops:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Actually there is also Wee Keong from The Physical Spacce, the local Meade rep. He does not have a website but you can see his stuff under the vendor section.

As for overseas vendors, 2 lurks here :

Robert from www.hoo-germany.de and William Optics (through McGill).
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
tian

Post by tian »

starsinanutshell wrote:u guys seems to disencouraged people from purchasing in astro sci centre
i thought it is not recommended to buy from astro sci centre?

Other than browsing scope from internet, do u guys know of any shops in singapore. i heard that there is shop in lucky plaza selling scopes, is it true, is the scope gd?
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

In the past, it was not recommended to buy from astro sci centre as the prices were very high compared to what you can get overseas. However, I understand the prices have come down slightly. You should shop around for the best deal in terms of price, service, warranty issues etc.

It is best to avoid photo shops selling scopes.

Look around the Buy and Sell section here. I think there are a number who are trying to sell their scopes. You can also put up a 'Want-To-Buy' ad here in Singastro.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

tian wrote:
starsinanutshell wrote:u guys seems to disencouraged people from purchasing in astro sci centre
i thought it is not recommended to buy from astro sci centre?

Other than browsing scope from internet, do u guys know of any shops in singapore. i heard that there is shop in lucky plaza selling scopes, is it true, is the scope gd?
forget about those shops selling scopes in Lucky Plaza. Firstly, their price is way too high and secondly their salesman know those scope just enough to tell you that they are for looking at your neighbours.

The only other shop in Singapore I know (but it has close down) besides Astro scientific is a shop at the Paragon. Existed about 10 years back selling very decent Vixen scopes. Not cheap....but it existed before.

The solution to buy scopes is simple. If you are one that must have a warranty to sleep peacefully and $$$ doesn't matter, then go to our local vendors. If you are one that is tight on budget and you are not worried about scope breaking down because you could possibly repair it yourself, then go the overseas route.
rlow

Post by rlow »

The solution to buy scopes is simple. If you are one that must have a warranty to sleep peacefully and $$$ doesn't matter, then go to our local vendors. If you are one that is tight on budget and you are not worried about scope breaking down because you could possibly repair it yourself, then go the overseas route.
Or like what Chris said, get one second-hand from Singastro! It is the best value deal! :)
simei-sky

Post by simei-sky »

Hi there,

I think there are some scopes that is for sale in the Buy and sales sect here. may want to look that up. happy hunting, do not rush into it and enjoy the process..Cheers
tian

Post by tian »

thx for all the suggestion given