suggestions on what telescopes to purchase

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
starsinanutshell

suggestions on what telescopes to purchase

Post by starsinanutshell »

hey guys,im new here,i just want to know what good telescopes i can buy with roughly about 800 bucks.and one more thing....why u guys seems to disencouraged people from purchasing in astro sci centre?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hi
welcome to singastro.
Do refer to our FAQ section on how to buy a telescope.
You may want to pop by a few sessions with weixing in tampines before deciding. else you can also check out the buy-sell section as well as wait for the Singastro lelong which is coming soon...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Re: suggestions on what telescopes to purchase

Post by kayheem »

starsinanutshell wrote:....why u guys seems to disencouraged people from purchasing in astro sci centre?
Their prices are 'astronomical' :D

However, they do have a proper shop for you to check out the scopes. To their credit, they have lowered their prices somewhat compared to the past. Do wait for the Singastro Lelong sale which is coming up.

Kay Heem
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Their prices are 'astronomical'

However, they do have a proper shop for you to check out the scopes. To their credit, they have lowered their prices somewhat compared to the past. Do wait for the Singastro Lelong sale which is coming up.
Yes, some of the telescope's price there had drop to a more reasonable range.... :)

Anyway, try to get a scope at least 5" for SCT/MCT/Newtonian and at least 4" for refractor as your first scope... Also, don't need to get a scope in a hurry, look around and you may find some used scope put on sale at a very good price in the Buy and Sell section.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hi, to check out starsinanutshell, you might want to get a microscope instead ... :) *kidding*

Welcome to SingAstro! :)

What are you interests mainly in? Planets? Deep Sky Objects? Star Clusters? Galaxies? What's your experience level in terms of knowing the skies and constellations? Is portability an issue?

These are just some of the info needed to give a better recommendation. :) There is no one perfect scope, each has their pros and cons ... :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
boothee

Post by boothee »

[quote="jermng"]Hi, to check out starsinanutshell, you might want to get a microscope instead ... :) *kidding*

LOL !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boothee
starsinanutshell

is it me or is the site at tps.sg not working
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

starsinanutshell wrote:is it me or is the site at tps.sg not working
Sorry, it's not you, it is the site.
HoO_Germany
Vendor

Re: suggestions on what telescopes to purchase

Post by HoO_Germany »

starsinanutshell wrote:hey guys,im new here,i just want to know what good telescopes i can buy with roughly about 800 bucks.and one more thing....why u guys seems to disencouraged people from purchasing in astro sci centre?
Hi starsinanutshell... you read this book? :D
Wellcome on Singastro, you will enjoy this forum because it is very friendly and the ppl here have a lot of good tipps for beginners.

The question about wich scope will be the best for you at start, is no so easy after you can not tell us, what kind of objects you would like to observe mostly?
Telescopes are shared "in two groups" , as the short focal length scopes and long focal length scopes.
So a short focal lenght scope is better for watching open clusters and deepsky objects, the long focal scopes are better for watching planets and such stuff...
You see... there is a lot you can tell us, before we can tell you, what kind of scope shall be. But one is important. If you want to buy onla ONE scope in your life, there is better to buy a good quality one ....this is the best way to save money.

Clear skys
Robert
House of Optics Germany
Intes-Micro/Ylena/STF/LOMO/Synta
www.hoo-germany.de
e-mail: info(@)hoo-germany.de
Tel.: +49 2452 976144
starsinanutshell

yes,i know. i had virtually borrowed every astronomy and telescopes from the library so i know quite a few....the reason i asked for hlep is the fact that i realized the pricing in singapore is quite different from what i had orginally expected, for example a my ignorant auntie bought a powerseeker 50 which cost 200bucks!i tink that a rip,isnt it?