Perseid Meteor shower

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

i'll have ORD-ed by leonids this year! I might organise an overnight observation for my juniors for this coming leonids, but also open to everyone. Disclaimer: I MIGHT. can't promise, because i always like to forget things >.<
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

would that secret "base" in dempsy road do good with electricty? its pratically a fav spot for you guys no?
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

H Lily and others:

Thanks for the offer..Lily I will start upgrading the talk material over the next few weekends...

I have some level of success in visual observing Gems (close to midnight), Leonids(early dawn) and Perseids(early dawn) in past years in Singapore at least for the bright ones. The storm conditions were observed in o/s - Korea and Jordan.

Due to S'pore flicky weather I have turned to video detection a few years ago. This way there is no human fatigue involved and the ccd is sensitive enough to pick out meteors in full moon light and passing clouds. When the sky clear up and a shower is imminent and it falls on weekends / public holiday I might walk to a nearby park for visual leaving the system running at home etc or have the options of field recording the meteors and post analysed through the same software.

With so many showers (major/minor) active through out the months you will see a mix bag of meteors - some are simply background (sporadics). For a start stick to the major - Perseids, Gems.. Leonids predicted ZHR is 100 in NW Africa and Europe.. and there are talks about monitoring beta- Perseids on Aug 8/9 ( National day holiday) for dim mag +4+5 meteors ( binoculars, or medium focal video ccd)...

rgds
yK
klutz

Post by klutz »

I should be able to get a laptop. You need a projector too right? Let's hope someone can arrange a lecture hall. Is a classroom ok?
Chia, I can loan a projector from my company :)
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...
Lily

Post by Lily »

Chia, I can loan a projector from my company
Thanks Klutz! Next we need a lecture hall, I am now scratching my head ... hope we will find something.

One suggestion - since Zong is going to organise an observation and there is a free lecture by YK, why not co-ordinate these two events such that they compliment each other? It will be more meaningful.

Lily
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

can i be annoying and ask, why not at that house at dempsy road, if no one caught my earlier post? its like a .. place good for audition, and has rooms dont it(unless it doesnt have electricty, does it?)

~gin
Lily

Post by Lily »

can i be annoying and ask, why not at that house at dempsy road
Pardon me Soulfrost but I really had no idea about the base at Dempsy Road. Perhaps most of the old-timers know what you are talking about but not me coz I am new to this forum remember?

I am glad you brought this up, that means we have found a lecture hall :)! For the benefits of those like myself, could you tell us what the place is like, how big etc.

Cheers,
Lily
rlow

Post by rlow »

We have ob at the old Dempsey site (between Blk 14 & 15) just last month, and it is still quite dark and shielded from lights. Those lights from the restaurant etc are in nearby blocks.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

rlow wrote:We have ob at the old Dempsey site (between Blk 14 & 15) just last month, and it is still quite dark and shielded from lights. Those lights from the restaurant etc are in nearby blocks.
good to hear! this was my favourite spot until it was "abandoned" by many singastroians recently in favour of more remote, mosquitoes and lallang -infected corners...:-)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

lol.. why would they choose such corners?