How to use an equatorial mount???

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... So how does this thing work since it moves together when you turn the RA axis? Is the painted arrow of any use?

But the metal pointer never move when you rotate the RA axis, right??
In books, they often quote that the 0hr is denoted as the first point of aries... So what does that means?
Check this website: http://www.glyphweb.com/esky/default.ht ... aries.html
Hmmm... But I guess the problem is that I'm still blur in using the DEC and RA circles rather than orientating the telescope.
Most of us never use the setting circle, because it too small to be very useful, but it good that you learn how to use it... just in case.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

Yup, the metal pointer never moves when you shift the RA axis. Ie. You point it to value of 5, no matter how much you turn the RA axis, it still points at 5. :newbie:
Fascinating Nature - The Night Sky.
Interesting Fact - Planets exists.
Fascinating Nature + Interesting Fact = Astronomy
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Ie. You point it to value of 5, no matter how much you turn the RA axis, it still points at 5. newbie
Err... you confuse me a bit... You say that when you turn the RA axis, the RA setting circle turn with it...

Now you said that the metal pointer will point at the same value on the RA setting circle no matter how much you turn your RA axis...

You mean the metal pointer moves together with the RA setting circle when you rotate the mount??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
tian

Post by tian »

how about joining them for obs and u might solve all your questions
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

tian wrote:how about joining them for obs and u might solve all your questions
yup, the metal pointer moves together with the RA setting circle when you rotate the mount??
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
yup, the metal pointer moves together with the RA setting circle when you rotate the mount??
Hmm... move together?? Can you post an photo of the whole EQ mount and one photo on the metal pointer??

Need to identify which EQ mount are you using and what is the problem.

By the way, is this a new telescope??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

Here are the pictures! Hmm... Not a new telescope actually. Its a 2 year old thingy le. But since the circles are there, so I thought that I would try to learn how to use it lo :D
Attachments
Equatorial mount
Equatorial mount
07-09-06_1802.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
RA axis
RA axis
07-09-06_1803.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Ok... I think you are using the EQ2 Mount. There is a thumb screw beside the metal pointer, so tighten the thumb screw should keep your RA setting circle from moving. Try it.

By the way, I think you really need a manual and Celestron Manual are usually lousy... at least on the beginner scope. So go to the Orion support website ( http://www.telescope.com/shopping/brows ... anges=true ) and download the manual for SpaceProbe 130 EQ Reflector. They are the same scope and the manual should be able help on how to use your scope.

Enjoy and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
wAi_kiT

Post by wAi_kiT »

Thanks for that manual! The information there contains far more than what the celestron manual have! But I still don't see some light over here... First, you locate a known star with known coordinates, so that you can set the RA circle and lock it. Since you locked the RA setting circle, that means the RA circle will follow the RA axis when you rotate the RA axis right... For example, if you located a star at RA 05hr 00min 00sec, then I'll lock the circle at value of 5 right. But when you use RA values to locate another star, won't the pointer still be pointing at "5" no matter how you rotate the RA axis?
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
But when you use RA values to locate another star, won't the pointer still be pointing at "5" no matter how you rotate the RA axis?
Have you try tighten the thumb screw and rotate the RA axis?? After tighten the thumb screw, the matel pointer will move when you rotate the RA axis, but not the RA Setting Circle, right?? This will allow the metal pointer to indicate the new RA value as you rotate the RA axis.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing