Very new here and super blur!! pls help!!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Nathanial_Ng

Very new here and super blur!! pls help!!

Post by Nathanial_Ng »

Hello I'm new to astronomy and i seriously do not know how to get started. Are there any astronomy clubs that i am able to join so that i can get started? i live around serangoon...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! :D :D

You can try to find books on introduction to Astronomy in library, check out the FAQ for Beginners and join someone else observation session.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
If you are in Poly or any of the tertiary institutions, you can join their astro clubs. Otherwise here will be a good place also for general astronomy.
Best is to meet up for observation.
Check out the weekly obs session by Weixing in tampines which is on as long as not cloudy and rainy! I think Zong regularly holds sessions in Toa Payoh park too while Chris conducts his in Serangoon area.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

check out http://wiki.singastro.org ... still busy working on it but you should find it informative still..

Cheers,
chris
whiteholes

Post by whiteholes »

Are you more interested in the practical part of astronomy or the theory part?

If its theory, i recommend you read a brief history of time.
rlow

Post by rlow »

How to get started? Here's my suggestion:

1. Don't buy a binocular or scope yet, until you are familiarised with a few binoculars or scopes.

2. Sign for the Mersing observation trip on 17 March 07, where you have a rare opportunity to look through three or four big premium scopes (plus a few small scopes) under dark clear skies. If the sky is clear, I am very sure this will be a most wonderful experience which you will never forget! If not, you can join some of our local observation sessions. Try contacting Zong or Clifford in Toa Payoh.

3. Read some astronomy books from the library. I would highly recommend "Nightwatch" and "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide", both by Terence Dickinson.

4. Post more questions on this "Beginners Forum". :)
Richard Low
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

welcome.. notice u going to have birthday soon =)
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
Nathanial_Ng

Post by Nathanial_Ng »

haha yeah =) thanks alot everyone =D
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Yes, if you have permission to stay out late, and you have a straight bus to Toa Payoh, you can join the Toa Payoh ob group easily. pm me your handphone and i'll sms you when we go out for a session (known as activation) :)
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Zong, you are still active, I thought you change your weekend activities, u know what I mean. Tomorrow 5.30am for lunar eclipse, call? :D :D